Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2021, 03:48:14 PM
In many countries if something isn't illegal it's legal.

Only if we are talking about time and space being a fixed thing. As soon as you remove that constraint and suddenly you can do the same act at different times well plenty of actions can be illegal and legal. I am sure in the past there were lèse-majesté in Sweden. Now today people can probably talk shit about the King and not be arrested. Now would these Swedes talk shit about the King if they suddenly existed 200 years ago or whatever? Are they morally superior to some Swede who was arrested for lèse-majesté 200 years ago? Wow Swedes today are so much more law abiding when they insult the King! Those King insulters from the past sure could learn a thing or two from them.

Now do I know if my ancestors would have come here if they knew it was illegal to do so? I have no fucking idea. I do not even know why they left their country of origin and why they decided to move to wherever they ended up moving to. So how can I praise them for not breaking 21st century laws? They might have broken those laws if they had been present at the time. I don't know. Seems weird to make a moral judgement on that basis. What we do know is that plenty of immigrants did not adopt the culture and caused a lot of social strife with their differing religions and ideas.

*shrug* Considering how much is wrong with the text it just seems weird to me to attack the one thing that is probably true for many people in the target audience who consider themselves part of the "we/our" group.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 03:49:37 PM
That is kind of an awful thing to suggest but considering the whole "non-whites were the real slave owners!!111" stuff they have been posting lately....
slave owners, I get, there were some.  But what is the "real" part?  :huh:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 04:03:38 PM
Now do I know if my ancestors would have come here if they knew it was illegal to do so? I have no fucking idea. I do not even know why they left their country of origin and why they decided to move to wherever they ended up moving to. So how can I praise them for not breaking 21st century laws? They might have broken those laws if they had been present at the time. I don't know. Seems weird to make a moral judgement on that basis. What we do know is that plenty of immigrants did not adopt the culture and caused a lot of social strife with their differing religions and ideas.
if a part of your family were Texans in 1835, they certainly didn't follow the laws, nor adapt the culture.  As for the "not shitting on your country" part, it really depends on how one views firing guns at the legal&legitimate authority of the country they reside in.  :sleep:
Then again, it seems to be some kind of tradition for many Americans to rebel against something.  1776,1835,1860.  I wonder when's the next one?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

If I was descended from fillibusterin Texian fake Catholics I probably would have mentioned that by now :lol:

No the earliest Texans I am descended from were Irish Immigrants in the late 19th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 06:30:38 PM
If I was descended from fillibusterin Texian fake Catholics I probably would have mentioned that by now :lol:

No the earliest Texans I am descended from were Irish Immigrants in the late 19th century.

Exactly what a fillibusterin fake Catholic would say....  :D

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2021, 03:46:29 PM
We didn't have immigration laws until 1876 and that was just to keep the Chinese out.  I don't know what "spit on our countries tradition" means exactly, but immigrants did rock the boat quite a bit.  The tradition of the Orangemen marching through New York City was curtailed by the Catholic Irish.  Quite a few people died in that process.  No justice, no peace.

Yeah this meme is full of lies and meant to direct rage at current immigrants while pretending past ones were morally superior. And that is a charitable interpretation because it almost seems like it is full of racism sort of claiming past white immigrants were morally superior. That is kind of an awful thing to suggest but considering the whole "non-whites were the real slave owners!!111" stuff they have been posting lately....

The White victimhood narrative is getting more widespread.  That's worrying.  We also have our own "stab in the back" narrative with Trump now.  I don't like where this is going.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 06:30:38 PM
I knew part of your family was from Baltimore/Washington, I didn't know if the other half had been on Texan soil since the Alamo. :)

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2021, 09:26:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2021, 03:46:29 PM
We didn't have immigration laws until 1876 and that was just to keep the Chinese out.  I don't know what "spit on our countries tradition" means exactly, but immigrants did rock the boat quite a bit.  The tradition of the Orangemen marching through New York City was curtailed by the Catholic Irish.  Quite a few people died in that process.  No justice, no peace.

Yeah this meme is full of lies and meant to direct rage at current immigrants while pretending past ones were morally superior. And that is a charitable interpretation because it almost seems like it is full of racism sort of claiming past white immigrants were morally superior. That is kind of an awful thing to suggest but considering the whole "non-whites were the real slave owners!!111" stuff they have been posting lately....

The White victimhood narrative is getting more widespread.  That's worrying.  We also have our own "stab in the back" narrative with Trump now.  I don't like where this is going.
Other world leaders, like Bolsonaro, are taking notes.  He's already announced he will accept the vote... if there's no fraud against him. Wanna bet how bright the future for democracy is over there?  That's the US in a decade.

Valmy

While we may indeed be doomed but our future is not Brazil. Brazil always has been Brazil, but sometimes more Brazil-y than others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Why are the Holocaust Deniers being so quiet?  :hmm:

Josquius

That's a self own if I ever saw one.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 12, 2021, 11:53:00 PM
Good thing we have two then.

Right, but assuming that was posted by a Democrat supporter, in fairness, the Republicans are trying their best to stop Democrat supporters from voting.

Eddie Teach

See, that was almost certainly posted by a GOP supporter, but the narrative is there for anyone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?