News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 01:06:14 PM
Except I don't think I've ever said that TV televangelists, right-wing blowhards, or the like aren't Christians.  You say you believe in Christ, you're a Christian.  The Christian brand is decidedly mixed around the world, with both really high highs, and really low lows.

But I think you can make a distinction between a serious Christian and an unserious one.

What is the basis for that distinction?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I agree with BB; "Christianity" is a popular brand name but for many the attach themselves to the label, it is just that.

Christianity is on its face very hard religion to follow with fidelity as it places nearly impossible moral burdens and aspirations on would-be followers.  But the secret sauce since the decline of the Arians is that it is very forgiving of moral failure. It's expected that people will fail; indeed, that is what Christ's grace is there for.  At the same time, the implication that follows - and it is an implication spelled out explicitly if the Gospels - is that one cannot hate one's enemies, because they too are eligible for Christ's grace and may one day be among the saved.  Hate the sin, not the sinner.

What the past 5 years have confirmed is that quite a few Americans identifying themselves as Christians are really nothing of the sort.  Is it a label or identity adopted to define themselves against Others, and those Others are to be objects of hatred, contempt and worse by virtue of their otherness.  Thus, we have the bizarre juxtaposition of "Christians" adhering to the single most un-Christian leader in American history, not merely out of desperation for lack of a better alternative, but affirmatively and worshipfully.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 01:11:46 PM
Except I don't think I've ever said that TV televangelists, right-wing blowhards, or the like aren't Christians.  You say you believe in Christ, you're a Christian.  The Christian brand is decidedly mixed around the world, with both really high highs, and really low lows.

But I think you can make a distinction between a serious Christian and an unserious one.

Knowledge of, and reference to, Scripture and the wider Christian tradition.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: ulmont on July 09, 2021, 12:50:18 PM
Syt, my apologies; I saw that article and thought it fit in perfectly with this thread.  I did not mean to make this the "Canadian Politics Thread 3.0: This Time it's Dumber."

Hi!

En Français, svp.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 01:32:07 PM

If you read the article in question Scripture was quoted and formed the basis of the argument put forward.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 01:43:44 PM

If you read the article in question Scripture was quoted and formed the basis of the argument put forward.

:jaron:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Did it? More like it undermined it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2021, 01:52:49 PM

I don't think the author thought so...?

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2021, 01:27:22 PM
I agree with BB; "Christianity" is a popular brand name but for many the attach themselves to the label, it is just that.

Christianity is on its face very hard religion to follow with fidelity as it places nearly impossible moral burdens and aspirations on would-be followers.  But the secret sauce since the decline of the Arians is that it is very forgiving of moral failure. It's expected that people will fail; indeed, that is what Christ's grace is there for.  At the same time, the implication that follows - and it is an implication spelled out explicitly if the Gospels - is that one cannot hate one's enemies, because they too are eligible for Christ's grace and may one day be among the saved.  Hate the sin, not the sinner.

What the past 5 years have confirmed is that quite a few Americans identifying themselves as Christians are really nothing of the sort.  Is it a label or identity adopted to define themselves against Others, and those Others are to be objects of hatred, contempt and worse by virtue of their otherness.  Thus, we have the bizarre juxtaposition of "Christians" adhering to the single most un-Christian leader in American history, not merely out of desperation for lack of a better alternative, but affirmatively and worshipfully.

I'm not really sure how that's a new development for Christianity?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2021, 01:52:49 PM

Yes, but then again, you would not have written that article.  Nor attempted to defend it.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2021, 02:01:10 PM
I'm not really sure how that's a new development for Christianity?

I didn't say it was.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Valmy

One would think that knowledge of those things would be common among believers. Yet...

It always strikes me as odd that people can put so much importance on and faith in something they have never really read or thought much about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 02:20:00 PM
Yes, but then again, you would not have written that article.  Nor attempted to defend it.

I agree that the article was indefensible but the objective was to troll not elucidate. He knew exactly the reaction his argument would provoke and that was the point.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2021, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 02:20:00 PM

I agree that the article was indefensible but the objective was to troll not elucidate. He knew exactly the reaction his argument would provoke and that was the point.

Yes. But that does not change the fact that he quoted and relied upon scripture for his argument.  You and from his response, BB, would argue that he got it all wrong.  But that is just a theological disagreement.  Not something which casts the author's seriousness as a Christian in doubt.