News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

How do we defend Israel? Send them even more military aid? Veto more stuff in the UN in their favor? Give the Israel lobby more power? I'm not sure what we're currently not doing, short of nuking their enemies, to defend Israel.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on July 02, 2021, 01:53:41 PM
How do we defend Israel? Send them even more military aid? Veto more stuff in the UN in their favor? Give the Israel lobby more power? I'm not sure what we're currently not doing, short of nuking their enemies, to defend Israel.

I think that's short hand for moving the embassy to Jerusalem.

Habbaku

How many times do we do that before we get credit for it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I love how they're utterly in the thrall of the elites yet claim to be the ones against the elites.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Conscription is the real freedom.

Child abuse and religious fanaticism prevent violence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Heh. Nutters in the UK always cry about that too. Despite usually coming from the generation after national service ended. You never really hear the same from those who did go through it for some odd reason.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zanza

I wonder if whoever created and posted that meme has gotten the news that Israel is now governed by wide coalition that includes left and Arab parties and if so, whether it would change their view on defending Israel.

Tonitrus

That might know how tenuous that coalition is, and how it could very easily unravel and flip over again after not too long. 

But I doubt that they think that deeply.

Nor is it the point.  The support for Israel from the those on the right with a religious bent is messianic, not political. 

Or, to steal a line from the late Christopher Hitchens, they support Israel the way the rope supports the hanging man...as they think Israel will bring about the second coming of h0d Jr. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on July 04, 2021, 12:06:31 AM
I wonder if whoever created and posted that meme has gotten the news that Israel is now governed by wide coalition that includes left and Arab parties and if so, whether it would change their view on defending Israel.

As Toni mentioned, in order to understand why the US Right supports Israel, you have to understand North American Evangelicals and their influence on the Republican party.  They do not care about the politics within Israel.  They care about what they think is the pivotal role Israel has within their warped views about the end of the world, and how to accomplish it.  They are essentially a death cult praying for the end of the world.

Eddie Teach

Israel is a western democracy beset by jihadists bent on its destruction, it's not just evangelicals.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteAs Toni mentioned, in order to understand why the US Right supports Israel, you have to understand North American Evangelicals and their influence on the Republican party.  They do not care about the politics within Israel.  They care about what they think is the pivotal role Israel has within their warped views about the end of the world, and how to accomplish it.  They are essentially a death cult praying for the end of the world.

Yeah. I've heard this take before and it does make sense.
Also explains their lack of belief in global warming et al.
They just fundamentally see the world as temporary and the end of the world as a good thing.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 04, 2021, 12:57:00 PM
Israel is a western democracy beset by jihadists bent on its destruction, it's not just evangelicals.
Maybe in 1970.
This excuse wears thin now.
██████
██████
██████