Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2021, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2021, 11:06:38 AM
The police can only suspect you are doing something illegal. The courts determine if you are doing anything illegal.

They wouldn't shoot you if you didn't disobey or do something illegal.  :rolleyes:
(My family actually believes that)

Yet your family also posts memes saying obeying the government means the holocaust is happening. So are we supposed to disobey or not?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

You're supposed to listen to the right government. Which is any office occupied by Republicans. And any office held by Democrats is actively working against the people of the United States.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2021, 11:40:18 AM
You're supposed to listen to the right government. Which is any office occupied by Republicans. And any office held by Democrats is actively working against the people of the United States.

Well the police have to enforce those laws passed by Democrats to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

It's never about consistency, Valmy. It's about sense of belonging.

Which is why these memes are actively dangerous. A minority in the country has convinced itself that it represents the true country, and are, in fact, the majority. The real country is thus being stolen by a small cadre of dangerous traitors.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Yes. And they have tangible effects as well. All the right-wing rage about running protesters over for blocking roads and such is paying ghoulish dividends, not only in Charlestown and elsewhere, but in an ongoing pattern it seems:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/14/1006147824/1-woman-is-dead-others-injured-in-minneapolis-after-a-driver-plows-into-protesto
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2021, 11:04:29 AM

No, but I have noticed how conservatives look all blocky and pixelated. They might want to get that checked out.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 16, 2021, 12:05:20 PM
It's never about consistency, Valmy. It's about sense of belonging.

Which is why these memes are actively dangerous. A minority in the country has convinced itself that it represents the true country, and are, in fact, the majority. The real country is thus being stolen by a small cadre of dangerous traitors.

Well that is the problem. A person with principles, no matter how ridiculous, can at least be counted on to uphold those ideas.

But recently, with both the politicians themselves and many of their supporters, they are so flexible on what they claim is important. They announce important ideas and then are directly opposed to them just a bit later. I mean everybody is a hypocrite, I certainly do not expect consistency or anything but they seem to take it to a new level.

Well...I guess except for guns and abortion. Those seem to be the only two policies they are consistent on, so there is that I guess.

Jacob

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 16, 2021, 12:30:23 PM
No, but I have noticed how conservatives look all blocky and pixelated. They might want to get that checked out.

Squirrely Dan is not a conservative. The frequency with which he quotes his Women's Studies prof. should be a hint.

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 16, 2021, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2021, 11:04:29 AM

I would replace the picture with a photo of Robert Mueller.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2021, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2021, 11:06:38 AM
The police can only suspect you are doing something illegal. The courts determine if you are doing anything illegal.

They wouldn't shoot you if you didn't disobey or do something illegal.  :rolleyes:
(My family actually believes that)
And yet they are willing to believe that police forces staged the 6 Jan coup attempt as part of a liberal plot.
PDH!

Josquius

I wonder what their reaction to that 2 distant strangers film is.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Have you ever noticed that the House Judiciary Committee leaves you alone if you aren't doing anything illegal?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Yeah, that sure helped Daniel Shaver, Kelly Thomas, and countless others.

Your sisters are monsters.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I think political outrage propaganda is a more powerful drug than heroin.  Just like with other drugs, once you're hooked, you reality warps, and what matters more than anything is getting your next fix.  Being in the company of fellow addicts who validate each other's addiction doesn't help either.  The addicts may not be evil, but it's still hard not to have disdain for them, especially when their addiction puts your own safety in danger.