News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2021, 10:38:54 PM
Not how I parsed it. I read it as only the first line (God + truth = life) and the rest is the memer making fun of it.

Granted, the format leaves it a bit ambiguous, but I'd assume that I the entire text after the initial colon was supposed to be on the t-shirt, then it would say "you" instead of "they".

Also, it seems more in line with usual meme formats of taking one line by someone else (real or imagined) and then mocking it.

Yeah, that was my take too. So while the meme originator is probably not hardcore religious, the mockery is about not thinking through your facile equation than explicitly saying God is not real. It's "you don't realize you're saying God is a lie, you friggin' doofus" not "God is a lie".

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 25, 2021, 11:59:16 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2021, 10:38:54 PM
Not how I parsed it. I read it as only the first line (God + truth = life) and the rest is the memer making fun of it.

Granted, the format leaves it a bit ambiguous, but I'd assume that I the entire text after the initial colon was supposed to be on the t-shirt, then it would say "you" instead of "they".

Also, it seems more in line with usual meme formats of taking one line by someone else (real or imagined) and then mocking it.

Yeah, that was my take too. So while the meme originator is probably not hardcore religious, the mockery is about not thinking through your facile equation than explicitly saying God is not real. It's "you don't realize you're saying God is a lie, you friggin' doofus" not "God is a lie".

The maker of the tee shirt was either: (a) ignorantly making a statement that they did not realize said the opposite of what they thought; or (b) were cleverly spreading the gnostic message (the god of this world is a lie).  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2021, 08:36:53 AM
The maker of the tee shirt was either: (a) ignorantly making a statement that they did not realize said the opposite of what they thought; or (b) were cleverly spreading the gnostic message (the god of this world is a lie).  ;)

Never assign to cleverness that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

That would make languish significantly less interesting :(

Malthus

A person wearing a religious slogan on a tee shirt being stupid? That's just unpossible.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

This was posted by a fellow official who was an ex-cop. When I pointed out that the actual data *directly* contradicts every single point other then the high taxes, I was told I was demented, and he was pleased his meme worked to "trigger a lib".

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

And Colorado, New Mexico, Virginia, etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 30, 2021, 06:41:08 AM
This was posted by a fellow official who was an ex-cop. When I pointed out that the actual data *directly* contradicts every single point other then the high taxes, I was told I was demented, and he was pleased his meme worked to "trigger a lib".
This level of mean spirited spite is something that I see all the time in people I know of that persuasion, and it's very creepy.  It's even more creepier when they start talking about guns.  It seems like they've already dehumanized their opponents, in the right circumstances they'll start a massacre with no hesitation.

garbon

In response to some twitter trolling of Republicans (photo sent to Republicans of Lee Harvey Oswald as poster's grandfather and asking them to reply to honor their grandfather), Candace Owens posted the following:

Candace Owens @RealCandaceO
Replying to @kenklippenstein
It is not "political correctness" to have a soul and a modicum of decency.

Reminder: These men DIED— the majority of them on foreign soil—so that you could be free. You do not photoshop murderers into their uniforms so that you can have a laugh.

I think that first line is very interesting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

She is not aware Lee Harvey Oswald was a US Marine?

Anyway interesting that being respectful is not "political correctness". Not offending people by being respectful is kind of one of its key components.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2021, 01:41:30 PM

The fifth amendment to the Constitution guarantees the right to due process before the government deprives you of your life. Even for people with bad parents.

Also I did not realize the only people concerned with this issue were people who had children who had been shot by the police.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."