And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2021, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2021, 06:23:34 PM
In a way, 9-11 might never have happened had Trump been president then.  Ben Laden would have realized the US was already on a path to self destruction and find worthier targets then.

In a sense Trump's presidency is a consequence of the 9-11 attack. It certainly altered the trajectory of the GOP and the US as a whole.

I disagree.  In fact, 9/11 may have delayed this.  We've been moving towards this since the Berlin wall fell*.  After 9/11 there was quite a bit more bipartisanship.  Most of the Right-wing militias were effectively dead when it happened and they didn't really grow much during the Bush years.  When Obama got elected the militias began to reform.  I would have thought that the Militas would decline during another Republican Presidency, but instead more and more people were radicalized.

*possibly longer.  I was a kid in the 1980's so I don't know much about the political climate then.  You did get the rise of the Posse Comitatus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

I don't know about that Raz.  Bush had the kindler gentler conservative agenda.  Then 9/11 changed all of that.

DGuller

I'm starting to wonder whether the 20th century ideas of free speech are just not compatible with the 21st century brainwashing technology.  The 20th century ideas of what is public information and what is private information is not compatible with 21st century surveillance state technology, it may well be that the idea that false information will lose out in a marketplace of ideas is a dangerously naïve article of faith in the age of microtargeted propaganda.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2021, 11:31:33 AM
:unsure:

It's a reference to a story from the Bible.  After God sent the Democrats to destroy mankind, He relented and told Noah to a build Gun Safe, of many cubits, and take in two of every caliber and every make and model.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2021, 12:48:26 PM
I'm starting to wonder whether the 20th century ideas of free speech are just not compatible with the 21st century brainwashing technology.  The 20th century ideas of what is public information and what is private information is not compatible with 21st century surveillance state technology, it may well be that the idea that false information will lose out in a marketplace of ideas is a dangerously naïve article of faith in the age of microtargeted propaganda.

Brought to you by FSB gang.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on May 20, 2021, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2021, 12:48:26 PM

Brought to you by FSB gang.
You have to admit, they're pretty good at it, aren't they?  :)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I would rather keep the President's family as far away from government as possible after all the nepotism of the last administration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The whole Hunter Biden thing is weird.  Trump's daughter received half a billion dollars in patents from the Chinese.  Not to mention Donald's profits when dealing with China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

It's a common thing with the far right. They don't get that "the other side" (there is only one) fundamentally see and do things differently to them.
They behave in exactly the same way, they're just less good at it and yet at the same time better at hiding it.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Having to testify is one of the downsides of accepting nepotistic high-level appointments to the election campaign.  I do remember that his lawyer, defending against the bipartisan criminal referral for perjury filed by the Senate Intelligence Committee, claimed that Junior was too stupid to have a criminal mind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2021, 09:25:40 AM
Having to testify is one of the downsides of accepting nepotistic high-level appointments to the election campaign.  I do remember that his lawyer, defending against the bipartisan criminal referral for perjury filed by the Senate Intelligence Committee, claimed that Junior was too stupid to have a criminal mind.

That was also a finding of the Mueller Report.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 25, 2021, 11:09:03 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2021, 09:25:40 AM

That was also a finding of the Mueller Report.

I misremembered it, then.  Whoever said it, they were right.  Junior is a moron, even compared to his dad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I mean the equivalent would be if Paul Revere used the colonial postal service instead of spreading it word of mouth. Probably would have been censored a bit harder in 1775.

Edit: Though why was Paul Revere riding around in 1776? Everybody knew the British were coming by that point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."