And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2021, 03:27:59 PM
He says he doesn't care, but I think he might.  :console:
He could care less, which leaves a lot of room for change.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So my sister shared an article from "townhall.com" titled "Democrats Hit With Massive Ad Campaign Over Teachers Unions Colluding with the CDC".

The "collusion" is, per linked NY Post a series of emails going back and forth between union and CDC, leading to this terrible influence of the union:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/teachers-union-collaborated-with-cdc-on-school-reopening-emails/

Quote[...]

The lobbying paid off. In at least two instances, language "suggestions" offered by the union were adopted nearly verbatim into the final text of the CDC document.

With the CDC preparing to write that schools could provide in-person instruction regardless of community spread of the virus, Trautner argued for the inclusion of a line reading "In the event of high community-transmission results from a new variant of SARS-CoV-2, a new update of these guidelines may be necessary." That language appeared on page 22 of the final CDC guidance.

The AFT also demanded special remote work concessions for teachers "who have documented high-risk conditions or who are at increased risk for ... COVID-19," and that similar arrangements should extend to "staff who have a household member" with similar risks. A lengthy provision for that made it into the text of the final guidance.

[...]

I wonder if she would be similarly outraged at big business and industry lobbyists influencing, I don't know, legislators in a similar fashion. Not that that ever happens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

No Jesse, I'm not following.  I need you to break that down for me.

The Minsky Moment

If only we had known earlier that the secret to peace in the Middle East was tweeting f-bombs in all caps. Think how many lives could have saved.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2021, 04:43:23 PM
If only we had known earlier that the secret to peace in the Middle East was tweeting f-bombs in all caps. Think how many lives could have saved.
In a way, 9-11 might never have happened had Trump been president then.  Ben Laden would have realized the US was already on a path to self destruction and find worthier targets then.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2021, 06:23:34 PM
In a way, 9-11 might never have happened had Trump been president then.  Ben Laden would have realized the US was already on a path to self destruction and find worthier targets then.

In a sense Trump's presidency is a consequence of the 9-11 attack. It certainly altered the trajectory of the GOP and the US as a whole.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2021, 06:31:26 PM

In a sense Trump's presidency is a consequence of the 9-11 attack. It certainly altered the trajectory of the GOP and the US as a whole.
I was going to wonder about that as well.  GOP's slide away from democracy began with their reaction to Clinton's victory, but I can't help but think that 9/11 was a lasting boost for them, directly and indirectly.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2021, 06:52:53 PM

I was going to wonder about that as well.  GOP's slide away from democracy began with their reaction to Clinton's victory, but I can't help but think that 9/11 was a lasting boost for them, directly and indirectly.

Post-911 was when they went not just anti-democratic, but imperial presidency to boot.  The Shrub claimed the power to arrest and detain anyone, anywhere, at his discretion, and the GOP congress didn't offer a word of protest. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2021, 07:40:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2021, 06:52:53 PM

Post-911 was when they went not just anti-democratic, but imperial presidency to boot.  The Shrub claimed the power to arrest and detain anyone, anywhere, at his discretion, and the GOP congress didn't offer a word of protest. 
Yeah. The Patriot Act began this mess.  I remember some shitbag quoting Stalin about making political enemies go away, all the while screaming about what an American patriot he was.
PDH!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Bullet boats will be in high demand when the flood comes.