Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

QuoteOne of best posts I read in recent memory.

In reference to the Columbus police shooting.

"What should be done is a federal probe into Democrats destroying the education system that they have controlled in inner cities for over half a century to produce multi-generational functional illiteracy rates over 40% in almost all of them.

You cannot expect functional illiterates to understand that life choices sometimes leads to life ending. Illiterates are ruled by emotion, not reason.

Republicans did not build this, Democrats did."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I am glad to see statements calling for improvements to public education.

I had not noticed anybody else making connections between specifically "inner city" education quality and these shootings though. It almost suggests they are claiming it is mostly black people doing the shootings...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2021, 10:09:24 AM
I am glad to see statements calling for improvements to public education.

I had not noticed anybody else making connections between specifically "inner city" education quality and these shootings though. It almost suggests they are claiming it is mostly black people doing the shootings...

Isn't "inner city" thinly veiled code for "them blacks"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Very thinly veiled yes. They are not talking about urban hipsters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

How are public schools funded in the US? And who's holding the purse strings?
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2021, 10:31:46 AM

IIRC school districts in the US are financed via the residents' property taxes. So, poor areas have poor school districts.

Valmy

Um...well...in Texas it is supposed to be funded through local property taxes with an elected school board controlling the funds for each school district. In practice it is absurdly more complicated than that with the state taking a lot of local taxes to give to poorer districts and there is lots of state control that goes with that. Then you have federal money and control of that money by federal agencies.

And often you will have some private philanthropic fund that is providing some sorts of funding and they also have a large say in how those funds are used.

So like everything involving money and power in the United States it is...hard to say really.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2021, 10:34:20 AM

IIRC school districts in the US are financed via the residents' property taxes. So, poor areas have poor school districts.

I would be surprised if it works that way in all 50 states though.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2021, 10:40:14 AM

It works that way in California and Massachussets, from what I've been told.

I think it used to be this way in Canada up 'til the 50s.  Now, it's all funded by provinces.  Federal government transfers money for health&education to provinces.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PDH

Quote from: viper37 on April 29, 2021, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2021, 10:40:14 AM

It works that way in California and Massachussets, from what I've been told.

I think it used to be this way in Canada up 'til the 50s.  Now, it's all funded by provinces.  Federal government transfers money for health&education to provinces.

Over half of the school funding in California comes from the state - throw in Federal money and that is about 2/3 of the total.  This is in part because California regulate property taxes (Proposition 13) and after 1978 the state had to step up funding.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

The low property taxes of California is why if I lived in California, and everything else remained the same, I would pay substantially less tax than I currently pay in Texas. So when you hear people complaining about the high taxes over there, they really only get you if you make shitloads of money every year.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2021, 11:31:09 AM
The low property taxes of California is why if I lived in California, and everything else remained the same, I would pay substantially less tax than I currently pay in Texas. So when you hear people complaining about the high taxes over there, they really only get you if you make shitloads of money every year.

Exactly - a lot of folks who moved out of state are unpleasantly surprised at things like their property valuations going up more than 1% each year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

I ruin my restroom just fine without the help of liberals, thanks. Credit where it's due, fuck.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien