News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

That's a time-worn lie.  Reagan used it in the 1960s, and Snopes has it appearing in a Muncie, Indiana newspaper ad in 1960.  The head of the LDS, former Agriculture Secretary Ezra Taft Benson claimed in 1966 that Khrushchev had said that to him privately.  Benson can't explain why he told different versions of his conversation with Khrushchev prior to 1966, nor how a Muncie, Indiana paper knew about this private conversation.   There's no public record of Khrushchev saying this, and only Benson has attributed the report to Benson.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Khrushchev's recklessness is on full display here again.  Why in the world would you reveal your game plan to your opponent?

Tonitrus

I like how healthcare is the first stage towards communism.  :P

grumbler

And I like how he addressed the UN (and banged his shoe) two days after he left the US for the last time.

Nothing supports made-up stories like made-up specific details.  Nothing undermines them like that, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I don't think Kruschev could even outline an eight point plan like that.  He didn't have the most robust intellect.  Also, the shoe thing didn't happen in 1959.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2021, 02:21:07 PM
I don't think Kruschev could even outline an eight point plan like that.  He didn't have the most robust intellect.  Also, the shoe thing didn't happen in 1959.

I was today days old when I learned that Kruschev banging his shoe on the table is actually a matter of some historical debate (even through Kruschev himself included it in his memoirs).

That he had his shoe out is
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2021, 02:21:07 PM

I was today days old when I learned that Kruschev banging his shoe on the table is actually a matter of some historical debate (even through Kruschev himself included it in his memoirs).

That he had his shoe out is

beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct? strangely erotic? cringe?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Khrushchev's memoirs are (sometimes) interesting to read, but I don't think they're very reliable for a couple of reasons:

1)  Some suspect that parts of it were edited by KGB or others, to at least somewhat align them with the party agenda of the time.
2)  Khrushchev was very self-serving in his descriptions of everyone and everything.
3)  Khrushchev is one of those people whose memory is just supremely unreliable, and he may have genuinely remembered things in a very different way from how they happened.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Josquius

They're scoring so many own goals lately :lol:
██████
██████
██████