Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The WWII generation voted for the New Deal and a 90% marginal tax rate.

Anyway hating the kids is so tiresome. Like your sister's generation was so damn hard core.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I wonder what the generation in that second picture would think of people for whom wearing a piece of cloth over their face is too much of a sacrifice during a deadly pandemic.

Admiral Yi

I think Clint himself is fairly lefty, if not too loud about it.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2021, 02:27:49 PM
I wonder what the generation in that second picture would think of people for whom wearing a piece of cloth over their face is too much of a sacrifice during a deadly pandemic.

The characters in that film aren't exactly the admirable sort.  Also, unless Syt's sister in in here late 80's it's not her generation depicted in that film.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2021, 02:40:40 PM

The characters in that film aren't exactly the admirable sort.  Also, unless Syt's sister in in here late 80's it's not her generation depicted in that film.
I didn't think she was, and I wasn't speaking specifically of these two characters or actors.  I've just been thinking lately of all my grandparents, and what they lived through.  All of them either served and survived the war, or survived the civilian life during the war, which in Soviet Union wasn't that easy to do on starvation rations.  If any of them were still alive, I wonder what they would think about people finding it too hard to wear masks for a year or two.

alfred russel

It is likely that a lot of them would have objected to wearing masks.

They weren't far removed from the spanish influenza pandemic, which was much worse than this one, and masks were quite controversial then.

https://untappedcities.com/2020/07/15/the-anti-mask-league-of-1919-the-cultural-battle-of-an-enduring-pandemic/
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2021, 12:47:04 PM
A classic.

Well yes, many younger people, can't work a mere 40 hours per week.  That is a luxury few have actually.   But they are pretty good at identifying their sexuality, at least better than the repressed religious right. 

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 30, 2021, 03:13:10 PM

It is likely that a lot of them would have objected to wearing masks.

They weren't far removed from the spanish influenza pandemic, which was much worse than this one, and masks were quite controversial then.

https://untappedcities.com/2020/07/15/the-anti-mask-league-of-1919-the-cultural-battle-of-an-enduring-pandemic/

Man, that's a crappy article.  Not only is it poorly written ("The flu...killed anywhere from 17 million to 50 million people."  It didn't kill anywhere from 17 to 50 million, it killed as many as it killed.  Estimates of the death toll may vary, but the number of people killed did not vary, except to increase over time) but its references don't say what it claims (the hyperlink to "impressive membership" contains no mention if membership).

I agree that there were a lot of people opposed to masks in 1918 (not the WW2 generation, but telling) but that just tells us that people were as selfish in 1918 as in 2020.  That's no surprise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2021, 02:45:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2021, 02:40:40 PM

I didn't think she was, and I wasn't speaking specifically of these two characters or actors.  I've just been thinking lately of all my grandparents, and what they lived through.  All of them either served and survived the war, or survived the civilian life during the war, which in Soviet Union wasn't that easy to do on starvation rations.  If any of them were still alive, I wonder what they would think about people finding it too hard to wear masks for a year or two.

I've thought about this as well, and even brought it up a few times on Facebook.  Never got a response from conservatives.  Obviously, your grandparents and my grandparents had different experiences.  Neither of my grandfather's served (one was too old and held draft exempt job and the other couldn't serve because of heart scarring something that later killed him),  My Grandmother worked in a boot factory and I don't know what my other grandmother did.  Still, nobody starved and nobody was in danger of starving.  There was rationing of food and gasoline, shortages of all sorts, higher taxes, on the coasts there were blackouts. People didn't starve, but the whole thing was very inconvenient.  Yet all of this was much more arduous than wearing a face mask.

To be honest, I don't know why so many modern conservatives took this course.  It makes no sense to me.  I don't understand why Trump starting undercutting the CDC or why Tucker Carlson comes on every night saying that vaccines are dangerous.  The WW2 analogies work for me, more people have died from Covid than did in WW2.  Hell, some of the people who survived WW2 have since died of Covid.  This is a national emergency, I don't know why so many pretend it isn't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2021, 04:47:19 PM
This is a national emergency, I don't know why so many pretend it isn't.

Because it isn't that bad and it is transparently being used to control behaviors by shrills and self important politicians.

Spend a few years fighting the nazis who are trying to take over europe? That makes sense. Endure a year of lockdowns so that we can stop the spread of a disease that kills less than 1% of the people it infects? That seems like bullshit to me, and in a society filled with morons that can only see things in extremes, you push too far in one direction and people will gravitate toward thinking everything is a sham and we need to go 100% the other way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2021, 04:47:19 PM
To be honest, I don't know why so many modern conservatives took this course.  It makes no sense to me.
I suspect that the Russians had some role in it.  An asteroid may be heading for the earth, and Russians would spread misinformation while the world debated a solution if they thought it would be to their benefit, and their useful idiots would pick it up and run with it.  I'm not saying that they were the most important reason behind it, and we should not discount domestic stupidity, but I do think that Russian psychopaths in charge of informational warfare with the West realized how stressful a bad response to the pandemic would be to their enemies, and did their part to ensure that the response would be bad.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 30, 2021, 05:15:25 PM
Because it isn't that bad and it is transparently being used to control behaviors by shrills and self important politicians.
:hmm: Okay, I think that's a pretty definitive jump the shark moment.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on March 30, 2021, 05:15:25 PM

Covid isn't that bad? More than half a million deaths in the US isn't "that bad"?

Eddie Teach

Well, we have been talking about Spanish flu and WW2.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?