News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

NOT shared by my family, but seen on Reddit:

Because when I hear Washington, Jefferson, Franklin etc. I think "oppressed underdogs." :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

How was e.g. Jefferson not a career politician? He started at age 31 in 1774 and with short breaks had high political offices until 1809, i.e. for 35 years. Thats what you normally call a career...

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2021, 12:01:30 PM
How was e.g. Jefferson not a career politician? He started at age 31 in 1774 and with short breaks had high political offices until 1809, i.e. for 35 years. Thats what you normally call a career...

I think they imply that they didn't pursue a career in politics prior to the revolution, maybe?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

As if anyone could enter politics back then, they were "gentlemen politicians" with an independent wealth separate from their political careers.

grumbler

:huh:  Why are we trying to figure out why lying morons lie?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2021, 12:11:42 PM
To demonstrate our self-perception of intellectual superiority in order to feel good about ourselves.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2021, 12:10:30 PM

I think they imply that they didn't pursue a career in politics prior to the revolution, maybe?

But they were in politics before the Revolution.  At least some of them were.

I honestly find it weird that the GOP has really moved into class warfare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I do not think they are lying, I think they are simply ignorant.  Hell, I bet half of them believe that the revolution was fought to protect the right to bear arms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2021, 12:22:31 PM
I honestly find it weird that the GOP has really moved into class warfare.

This dude wasn't trying to play the class warfare card, at least not the way I see it.  He was trying to play the brilliant Trump outsider vs. the corrupt deep state establishment card.

DGuller

You need a bit of context here.  In this thread Syt forwards a lot of memes that some would characterize as potentially misleading.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2021, 12:24:17 PM

I do not think they are lying, I think they are simply ignorant.  Hell, I bet half of them believe that the revolution was fought to protect the right to bear arms.
It's hard to know where ignorance ends, lying begins, lying ends, and insanity begins.  These memes spread because people get so emotionally activated by them that their critical thinking gets short-circuited.  It really is engineered insanity.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2021, 01:50:39 PM
It really is engineered insanity.

I'm definitely stealing this one.  Is it original, o did you encounter it somewhere?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2021, 07:52:38 PM

I'm definitely stealing this one.  Is it original, o did you encounter it somewhere?
Original.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2021, 08:20:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2021, 07:52:38 PM

Original.

Googling turns up an odd F1 campaign a couple years back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.