News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'm on twitter too, with my real name. I don't really tweet. I use it to follow hockey & CRTC news.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I'm fairly certain that the constitution doesn't have a clause that encourages rebellion.  In fact, the Article IV of the US constitution says  the opposite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2021, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2021, 12:04:06 PM
Wait, I have an indoor wedding scheduled in exactly 2 months and from talking with vendors the wedding business is booming right now (people who deferred their wedding plus normal wedding business is creating a crush). If Fauci actually said that it seems he is living on planet make believe.

How so? You think Fauci can give exact dates for when individual states decide it's okay to have indoor weddings?

I think Georgia decided it was okay as of April 24, 2020.

Google the recent images of spring break in Florida. If you are shocked or in anyway surprised by the crowds, you are deluded about what is going on. There seems to be a subset of the population that is living in significant isolation since this all started, and I suspect that portion is significantly overrepresented on languish. Our membership came off a video game forum: I suspect we are more introverted, technologically inclined, higher income, educated, etc. than the public at large, which makes this place an echochamber on this stuff.

I've been to Alaska, Utah, Nevada, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia since this all started, and when you get out of the cities it seems most people don't care. Anecdotally lots of college students don't care.

Georgia allowed gyms to open last April. My gym -- being in Atlanta -- declined to open because "while governor kemp has decided to allow us to open we don't want to risk the health of our members and employees."

Like a week later it reopens, and ultimately required a temperature screen to enter, with a mask except when working out, lots of signs saying to wear a mask, restrictions to keep lockers from overcrowding, saunas closed, the restaurant area closed, hourly sanitation of machines by workers, hourly announcements to socially distance and wear a mask, every other machine closed, and a few others. Even though it was open--at first few people came.

I don't know what happened, but my fiance pointed out a few days ago that over time that has gradually all stopped (except the temperature screenings), and the place is now packed. They still do temperature screenings and you are supposed to wear a mask to enter (some aren't though) but it is almost like old times. I'm kind of anxious now to get a vaccine because I feel like I'll definitely get covid there in the near term otherwise.

I know a lot of you guys think I'm just trolling or posting I told you so's, but it is very confusing that we have a covid lockdown check-in thread without people acknowledging that significant segments of life have just returned to normal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2021, 08:00:10 PM
Wait, I have an indoor wedding scheduled in exactly 2 months and from talking with vendors the wedding business is booming right now (people who deferred their wedding plus normal wedding business is creating a crush). If Fauci actually said that it seems he is living on planet make believe.

How so? You think Fauci can give exact dates for when individual states decide it's okay to have indoor weddings?

Actually, Fauci was talking about having "normal" weddings "like we used to" with no masks, no social distancing, etc.  There may be selfish people having such weddings now, but then there have always been selfish people.

The transcript is below. he only referenced "in the normal way" in the second follow up and never said we can have indoor weddings with precautions now.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/03/14/fauci_i_cant_give_you_the_exact_date_weddings_can_be_scheduled_this_year_.html#!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 22, 2021, 02:01:02 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2021, 08:00:10 PM

Actually, Fauci was talking about having "normal" weddings "like we used to" with no masks, no social distancing, etc.  There may be selfish people having such weddings now, but then there have always been selfish people.

The transcript is below. he only referenced "in the normal way" in the second follow up and never said we can have indoor weddings with precautions now.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/03/14/fauci_i_cant_give_you_the_exact_date_weddings_can_be_scheduled_this_year_.html#!

If you read that transcript it is clear that he is talking all along about "weddings in the normal way that we've seen."  Given that the initial prompt was a bizarre and confusing "very quickly, we know President Biden said of backyard gatherings, I've got a staffer or two that wants this question asked of you, and I'm sure they're not alone, which is when can people plan an indoor wedding?"  Fauci starts with "within a reasonable period of time" and then is interrupted and comes back with "I think you're going to see weddings in the normal way that we've seen within a reasonable period of time."  Clearly, that was the answer he was attempting to give all along.

CDC already has advice for those planning indoor weddings, so clearly it feels that they are going to happen.  I'm not sure why you've chosen this hill to die on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2021, 02:36:13 PM
I'm not sure why you've chosen this hill to die on.

Dorsey doesn't need a reason to do something stupid.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zoupa

QuoteI've been to Alaska, Utah, Nevada, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia since this all started, and when you get out of the cities it seems most people don't care.

Geez, I sense a common denominator to these states you've visited, and that you of course extrapolate to the whole country.

Dishonestly of course.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2021, 02:36:13 PM
If you read that transcript it is clear that he is talking all along about "weddings in the normal way that we've seen."  Given that the initial prompt was a bizarre and confusing "very quickly, we know President Biden said of backyard gatherings, I've got a staffer or two that wants this question asked of you, and I'm sure they're not alone, which is when can people plan an indoor wedding?"  Fauci starts with "within a reasonable period of time" and then is interrupted and comes back with "I think you're going to see weddings in the normal way that we've seen within a reasonable period of time."  Clearly, that was the answer he was attempting to give all along.

CDC already has advice for those planning indoor weddings, so clearly it feels that they are going to happen.  I'm not sure why you've chosen this hill to die on.

It isn't clear at all, but to that point the "Guidance for Organizing Large Events and Gatherings" begins with:

QuoteCDC continues to recommend that large gatherings be avoided, particularly those in which physical (social) distancing cannot be maintained between people who live in different households. This guidance is intended for those who are planning a large event, such as sporting events, concerts, festivals, conferences, parades, or weddings.

Which of course means that they are recommending against weddings of any size.

They can't legally prevent these things from happening, obviously.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on March 23, 2021, 03:29:49 PM
QuoteI've been to Alaska, Utah, Nevada, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia since this all started, and when you get out of the cities it seems most people don't care.

Geez, I sense a common denominator to these states you've visited, and that you of course extrapolate to the whole country.

Dishonestly of course.

Dishonesty? Fuck off. I told you where I've been to provide the context for my observations. If you don't think I've been to enough places to reach a conclusion, you can say so, but that isn't the same as being dishonest.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2021, 04:41:16 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 23, 2021, 03:29:49 PM

Dishonestly of course.

Dishonesty? Fuck off. I told you where I've been to provide the context for my observations. If you don't think I've been to enough places to reach a conclusion, you can say so, but that isn't the same as being dishonest.

I'm sure what Zoups was getting to was you'd only visited "red" states.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2021, 04:49:39 PM

I live in Georgia, which FYI did vote for Biden and just elected two Democratic senators. But that point aside, if he thinks my experience is not representative of the country at large - I FUCKING POSTED EXACTLY WHERE I'VE BEEN!!!! Where is the dishonesty?

Eddie Teach

I don't think covid-weariness is a political stance in most cases. If people in red states disregard masks/social distance/etc more blatantly, it's because of looser enforcement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 23, 2021, 07:01:02 PM
I don't think covid-weariness is a political stance in most cases. If people in red states disregard masks/social distance/etc more blatantly, it's because of looser enforcement.

Is it actually enforced anywhere? I mean by law enforcement not private property owners.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2021, 04:57:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2021, 04:49:39 PM

I live in Georgia, which FYI did vote for Biden and just elected two Democratic senators. But that point aside, if he thinks my experience is not representative of the country at large - I FUCKING POSTED EXACTLY WHERE I'VE BEEN!!!! Where is the dishonesty?

You visited red states, and specifcally mentioned "outside of cities". So I guess that means that if you limit yourself to specifically Trumpettes, then....oh wait, does anyone care what Trumpers are doing? I mean, we already know they've been ignoring this all along because of FREEDOM.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned