News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Wait, I have an indoor wedding scheduled in exactly 2 months and from talking with vendors the wedding business is booming right now (people who deferred their wedding plus normal wedding business is creating a crush). If Fauci actually said that it seems he is living on planet make believe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 11:27:15 AM
Yeah, but eating from the bag? That feels like giving up on life.

I can agree to that.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

A true man of culture would at least get Cool Ranch Doritos.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2021, 11:13:38 AM
Wait...so you don't find this crass American stereotype of French people offensive?

The weird part about this one is that, just as with Speedy Gonzales, nobody was asking for this. Companies are just being pro-active in finding what might get them in trouble in the future I guess.
He was based on the character from a famous movie of the late 30s, wasn't he?
I've never seen him as more French than any other, since all my cartoons were speaking French anyway... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2021, 11:13:38 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 15, 2021, 08:03:10 AM
Best one in a long time.  :D Take that, Cancel culture!  :lol:

PS: Pepé le Pew for the win!

Wait...so you don't find this crass American stereotype of French people offensive?

The weird part about this one is that, just as with Speedy Gonzales, nobody was asking for this. Companies are just being pro-active in finding what might get them in trouble in the future I guess.

The French dub had either a Marseille accent or an Italian one.  :lol: Even the original US dub would have some random Spanish or Italian at times for the Latin Lover parody angle.
The whole rape culture angle by the woke is hilarious from this side of the Atlantic. Perfidious Albion may differ though.  :P

I wonder what will happen when they will discover a certain anime called City Hunter (let us not mention the racier manga) and its hero, Ryo Saeba a.k.a Nicky Larson. Mono probably knows it, since the live adaptation starred Jackie Chan.  :P

As for nobody asking, I beg to differ:

https://twitter.com/charlesmblow/status/1368200161558663168
A NYT journo, riding the #metoo wave.

Pépé le putois got canned from Space Jam 2
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2021/03/10/space-jam-2-did-cancel-culture-come-for-the-looney-tunes/
Quote'Space Jam 2': How Cancel Culture Came For Pepe Le Pew, Speedy Gonzalez And Looney Tunes

Warner Archives is releasing some classic Tex Avery cartoons on blu-ray but I guess the somewhat "problematic" ones are not to be released as per the botched DVD release of some years ago.

PS: latest Pépé le putois appearances

Wiki:

Pepé also appeared on the 2006 direct-to-DVD movie "Bah, Humduck! A Looney Tunes Christmas"
Pepé Le Pew has appeared in The Looney Tunes Show episode "Members Only" (2011)
Pepé appeared in Looney Tunes: Rabbits Run (2015)
Pepé also appeared in New Looney Tunes (2015 - 2020)

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2021, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 11:27:15 AM
Yeah, but eating from the bag? That feels like giving up on life.

I guess you in theory one could note dirtying a plate is more wasteful.

You won't hear that argument from me though. :yuk:

When my son had volleyball tournaments, tacos in a bag were a best seller at the concession stand.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Huh - I signed up on Twitter just to follow some people.

I started answering some legal tweets, and I'm up to 20 followers!

Anyone else use Twitter?  I've got Syt, but that's the only one I know of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2021, 04:28:26 PM

Just be careful and mindful of your career prospects. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2021, 04:36:32 PM

Just be careful and mindful of your career prospects. :)

I'm posting under my own name and keeping it very professional. -_-

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2021, 12:04:06 PM
Wait, I have an indoor wedding scheduled in exactly 2 months and from talking with vendors the wedding business is booming right now (people who deferred their wedding plus normal wedding business is creating a crush). If Fauci actually said that it seems he is living on planet make believe.

How so? You think Fauci can give exact dates for when individual states decide it's okay to have indoor weddings?

Malthus

Gaining followers on social media can be addictive - I post my pictures on Instagram, I'm up around 6.6K.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 16, 2021, 04:44:43 PM

Gaining followers on social media can be addictive - I post my pictures on Instagram, I'm up around 6.6K.

Yeah it seems kind of pointless to post stuff on my own - I have no followers and nobody will see it!

So I just reply to other people's tweets, and sometimes those people find interesting enough to give me a follow.  If I get some more I might start up with original tweets.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2021, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2021, 12:04:06 PM

How so? You think Fauci can give exact dates for when individual states decide it's okay to have indoor weddings?

Actually, Fauci was talking about having "normal" weddings "like we used to" with no masks, no social distancing, etc.  There may be selfish people having such weddings now, but then there have always been selfish people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!