And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 10, 2021, 06:27:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2021, 05:41:07 PM
In the Wolf Hall trilogoy the Duke of Norfolk's son and heir is called Sussex.  I'm assuming this is historical.

I don't have the books close to me, but I believe it's Surrey, no?

Yes, it's Surrey (first name: Earl of). Last person to be executed by Henry VIII, sometime after the end of the trilogy.

The  current Duke of Norfolk (Edward Fitzalan-Howard) is also Earl of Norfoly, Earl of Surrey, Earl of Arundel and has a couple of baronies too.

Zoupa

Are these books any good? Got the first one somewhere around.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on March 11, 2021, 04:46:17 PM

They're not OMG good but they're pretty good.  The characters are all pretty three dimensional.

Admiral Yi

I did find myself skipping over a lot of Cromwell's inner thoughts though, sort of like the Elvish poetry in LOTR.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on March 11, 2021, 04:46:17 PM

Honestly the first one was a bit of a slog, but got better after that.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 07:40:51 AM

Best one in a long time.  :D Take that, Cancel culture!  :lol:

PS: Pepé le Pew for the win!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

It's just making a taco bowl out of a bag of Doritos.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

It's the taco version of Frito-pie  (shudder)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 15, 2021, 08:03:10 AM
Best one in a long time.  :D Take that, Cancel culture!  :lol:

PS: Pepé le Pew for the win!

Wait...so you don't find this crass American stereotype of French people offensive?

The weird part about this one is that, just as with Speedy Gonzales, nobody was asking for this. Companies are just being pro-active in finding what might get them in trouble in the future I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2021, 10:37:34 AM
I don't understand this one.

My sister posted it with the unironic comment "Great idea".

I'm not a posh foodie or have high expectations on my diet, but even I find it a bit ... depressing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 11:15:57 AM
I'm not a posh foodie or have high expectations on my diet, but even I find it a bit ... depressing.

Why? It's just tacos with Doritos.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Yeah, but eating from the bag? That feels like giving up on life.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 11:27:15 AM
Yeah, but eating from the bag? That feels like giving up on life.

I guess you in theory one could note dirtying a plate is more wasteful.

You won't hear that argument from me though. :yuk:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.