News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Left-wing Twitterati suggest that the fixation on the Dr Seuss non-issue is so that right-wing media can keep the culture wars going and don't have to show much of what's happening in politics (head of FBI testimony, voter rights and stimulus packages etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

An American friend of mine just posted this  :P

Aren't they supposed to be OK with somebody being a traitor to the British Crown?

Valmy

I don't get how he is a traitor. He is like 7th in line to the throne now. His usefulness is at an end to the monarchy. Why care what he does at this point? He is just another British Aristocrat at this point, a person who has the ancestral right to be called a weird name.

If I was the Duke of Sussex I would move to Sussex and pretend I was in charge.

"Ahoy there good peasant, it is I your glorious Duke of Sussex here to claim my feudal rights!"

"So...Harry just sign here to get your driver's license renewed."

"I shall my good man as a boon to my loyal retainers."

"Um...thanks. NEXT!"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2021, 02:05:58 PM
An American friend of mine just posted this  :P

Aren't they supposed to be OK with somebody being a traitor to the British Crown?

I wonder where this is coming from. Some of the usual gammon language is with veteran worship but also some really not true to form stuff.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 02:21:16 PM
I don't get how he is a traitor. He is like 7th in line to the throne now. His usefulness is at an end to the monarchy. Why care what he does at this point? He is just another British Aristocrat at this point, a person who has the ancestral right to be called a weird name.

If I was the Duke of Sussex I would move to Sussex and pretend I was in charge.

"Ahoy there good peasant, it is I your glorious Duke of Sussex here to claim my feudal rights!"

"So...Harry just sign here to get your driver's license renewed."

"I shall my good man as a boon to my loyal retainers."

"Um...thanks. NEXT!"

For some reason my mind read that with Matt Berry's voice  :P

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 02:21:16 PM

Although I do not know if it's the case in Sussex, the Crown still claims its feudal rights (bona vacantia, rights of wreck, fundus) in many places of the UK, most notably in Cornwall and Lancaster. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Well that is not as much fun.

But surely Harry wouldn't have access to those rights as Duke of Sussex even if the Crown did claim them? Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2021, 01:19:14 PM
Left-wing Twitterati suggest that the fixation on the Dr Seuss non-issue is so that right-wing media can keep the culture wars going and don't have to show much of what's happening in politics (head of FBI testimony, voter rights and stimulus packages etc.).

I think there is something to that.  It's a bad time to be a Republican right now.  In addition to what you stated, Trump is right now trying to eat the Republican party.  He's telling people not to give the RNC but instead give directly to him.  Trump has said he will not form a new party, but he seems to be doing his damnedest to kill the GOP. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 03:14:18 PM

But surely Harry wouldn't have access to those rights as Duke of Sussex even if the Crown did claim them? Ah well.

Probably not in the case of Sussex. But traditionally, the Duke of Cornwall (who is currently Charles, Prince of Wales) enjoys the rights of the duchy.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 10, 2021, 05:10:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 03:14:18 PM

Probably not in the case of Sussex. But traditionally, the Duke of Cornwall (who is currently Charles, Prince of Wales) enjoys the rights of the duchy.

Duke of Sussex is kind of an invented title.  Harry is only the second holder of it.  The first was Prince Augustus Frederick, 6th son of King George III.  Apparently (and yes of course I'm getting this from Wiki) he was married twice, but neither time did he get royal permission so his children were unable to inherit the title.

The title of course was then re-created in 2018 and given to Harry.

So I very much doubt it has any traditional rights in Sussex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Sussex
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

In the Wolf Hall trilogoy the Duke of Norfolk's son and heir is called Sussex.  I'm assuming this is historical.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2021, 05:41:07 PM
In the Wolf Hall trilogoy the Duke of Norfolk's son and heir is called Sussex.  I'm assuming this is historical.

I don't have the books close to me, but I believe it's Surrey, no?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 10, 2021, 06:27:47 PM

You could be right.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 12:32:27 PM
There is something outrageous about Dr Suess though. The very fact that he has been dead for 30 years yet his books are not only not public domain but will not in any of our lifetimes. Copyright law is so ridiculous. I mean do artists really need to continue to profit from their works decades and decades after they are rotting in their graves? What are these dead artists supposed to do with these revenues? If an engineer invents some amazing device they get a patent for a decade. If the same engineer writes a kids book he gets it for his entire life plus the life of his children and a significant part of his grandchildren as well. I mean do we really need this kind of dynastic benefit? Surely just having a copyright during your lifetime should be incentive enough to be creative.

So, you know, if it was public domain it couldn't be cancelled. So there you go Republicans, reform these copyright laws and strike a blow against cancel culture.

Oh and it seems Tucker Carlson recently claimed we are still in Afghanistan to enforce woke culture on the locals. So hey lets end all of our woke wars and come home!

I wonder how many other left wing peacenik anti-corporate things we can get Conservatives to get on board with due to this culture war shit?

Artists? No. Disney, sure does.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2021, 06:34:41 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 10, 2021, 06:27:47 PM

You could be right.

The Duke of Norfolk's seat is in Arundel which is in Sussex. His heir is the Earl of Arundel.

Nice pic of Arundel here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Arundel#/media/File:1_castle_arundel_aerial_pano_2017.jpg with the castle in the foreground  :cool: