News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2021, 05:33:35 PM
It doesn't really have a point.  The tainted consumables are all for the domestic market.  We don't import Three Gorges Dam brand dog food.  We import assembled iphones.

Like I said earlier, the meme did not properly describe the problems, but it definitely has a point. Tainted supplies for the production of dog food did make it into North America; dry wall with asbestos did make it into North America, etc. etc.

Grey Fox

Mott's fruits cup have Chinese apples in them, they are probably tainted.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

It doesn't really have a point.  The tainted consumables are all for the domestic market.  We don't import Three Gorges Dam brand dog food.  We import assembled iphones.

Except we do import dog food.  That's why they brought it up, there was a case of tainted dog food from China about a decade ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The 2007 Melamine pet food case was about imported contaminated wheat gluten used in pet food and livestock feed, rather than dog food itself.  Not that that really changes anything.  The US still overwhelmingly imports finished goods over processed goods or raw materials.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2021, 07:22:51 PM

Like I said earlier, the meme did not properly describe the problems, but it definitely has a point. Tainted supplies for the production of dog food did make it into North America; dry wall with asbestos did make it into North America, etc. etc.

To repeat

The Minsky Moment

If the point of the meme was that the US needs a stronger and more effective product regulatory regime  then I would agree it had a point.  But that wasn't the point of the meme.

The US could ban all trade with China and it would still have the same problems, because tainted and shoddy products are made in Vietnam, Burma, Laos etc. and they are made right here in the USA.  And the US will always have that problem as long as people think they can make money cutting corners and not face sufficient dire consequences for doing so.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 26, 2021, 10:36:13 AM
If the point of the meme was that the US needs a stronger and more effective product regulatory regime  then I would agree it had a point.  But that wasn't the point of the meme.

The US could ban all trade with China and it would still have the same problems, because tainted and shoddy products are made in Vietnam, Burma, Laos etc. and they are made right here in the USA.  And the US will always have that problem as long as people think they can make money cutting corners and not face sufficient dire consequences for doing so.

To repeat.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 26, 2021, 10:36:13 AM

Yes, the US will always have problems so long as it has poor internal regulation.  But that does not detract from the fact that China also produces tainted and shoddy products.

You do make a good argument for countries not trading with either country though.  :P

Josquius

The point is though if the US had good standards then China would make better quality products to sell to the US.
It's only logical they'll go for the shittest/cheapest they think they can get away with. Put any other country in china's position and I don't think things would be much different.You hear similar stories about dodgy spices from Bangladesh for instance.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2021, 06:04:05 AM

And he did all of that in 1 month, before having any long lasting, coherent policy or budget in place.  He is one hell of a leader! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

He will need a new Florida home if he gets evicted from Mar e Lago.

Caliga

So weird how many people still have such a boner for this con man. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points