News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2021, 07:43:37 AM
I wonder how many Americans are aware of just how creepy this national gun obsession looks from the outside.

I've just two 'gun nuts' that I know of in my family and at least all of us in my immediate family find it creepy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

It seems like a lot of it is about show. Like that jackoff Proud Boi school committee guy in Michigan. Someone called him out about his Boi activities and he responded by waving a gun around.  Or the pols with a gunrack as their background in Zoom meeetings.

PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

An inaccurate description of some of the problems.  But yeah, lots of problems trading with China.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I thought this an effective retort to the gun rights meme.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2021, 07:43:37 AM
I wonder how many Americans are aware of just how creepy this national gun obsession looks from the outside.

It is not really national.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2021, 02:05:50 AM
I suppose the rest (Soviet POWs, Poles, political enemies, gays, mentally or physically handicapped, Sinti & Roma and other 'undesirables' were armed).

Yeah I was about to say...arming themselves didn't really do the KPD, Poles, or Soviet POWs much good.

Besides the Germans were murdering the Soviet Jews as fast as they got them, they didn't stop to take away their guns first.

And the people being shot in the picture are probably partisans who were armed.

Also the Chinese and Soviet citizens were mostly starved. If they had had guns to eat I guess they would have been fine?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2021, 10:53:57 AM

And you just know this same kind of person complains about health and safety gone mad, laws about banana quality, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I do kind of agree with crazy anti-foreign rant though :hmm:

Dealing with the Chinese is dangerous, at least in current Xi form.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2021, 02:09:28 PM

True.  Dealing has to be done competently though. Which Trump and Obama failed at. 
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2021, 02:09:28 PM

Yeah, I was going to say, while it's crudely put the meme does kind of have a point...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It doesn't really have a point.  The tainted consumables are all for the domestic market.  We don't import Three Gorges Dam brand dog food.  We import assembled iphones.