Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 22, 2021, 12:07:02 PM
No it is not a relevant defense fact, it is the opposite.

No one ever claimed that the pipe bombs were placed DURING the insurrection; that would be absurd.

The belief was and always has been that the the bombs may have been placed beforehand to draw away police from the Capitol. 

That fits completely with the fact that they were initially planted the night before.

Which means the speech Trump made on January 6 did not cause a peaceful assembly to become violent - violent actions were already in motion.

It sets the timeline back for when Trump incited violence. Supposedly the prosecution would have to focus on communications prior to January 6.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2021, 12:14:11 PM
Which means the speech Trump made on January 6 did not cause a peaceful assembly to become violent - violent actions were already in motion.

It sets the timeline back for when Trump incited violence. Supposedly the prosecution would have to focus on communications prior to January 6.

A couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1: Trump and his circle were part of planning the coup attempt. Part of the coup attempt involved people preparing the action on the 6th, including planting pipe bombs on the 5th. At the appropriate time Trump, via his speech, incites the great mass of people not part of the planning to act to provide cover for the the people who are.

Scenario 2: Trump and his circle were not planning a coup attempt. They just poured rhetorical gasoline on everything prior to the 6th. As the situation got more intense, someone plants pipe bombs on the 5th. Then on the 6th, Trump throws a lit match at the gasoline soaked situation via his speech, inciting the attempted coup.

In both cases the speech on the 6th is enough to incite violence given the inflamed situation. The pipe bombs are an indication of how inflamed the situation was. Making the speech was at best grossly irresponsible and at worse an attempt to overthrow the government of the USA.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 22, 2021, 12:07:02 PM
No it is not a relevant defense fact, it is the opposite.

No one ever claimed that the pipe bombs were placed DURING the insurrection; that would be absurd.

The belief was and always has been that the the bombs may have been placed beforehand to draw away police from the Capitol. 

That fits completely with the fact that they were initially planted the night before.

How do you know the bomber was at the rally?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2021, 05:30:12 PM

A couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1: Trump and his circle were part of planning the coup attempt. Part of the coup attempt involved people preparing the action on the 6th, including planting pipe bombs on the 5th. At the appropriate time Trump, via his speech, incites the great mass of people not part of the planning to act to provide cover for the the people who are.

Scenario 2: Trump and his circle were not planning a coup attempt. They just poured rhetorical gasoline on everything prior to the 6th. As the situation got more intense, someone plants pipe bombs on the 5th. Then on the 6th, Trump throws a lit match at the gasoline soaked situation via his speech, inciting the attempted coup.

In both cases the speech on the 6th is enough to incite violence given the inflamed situation. The pipe bombs are an indication of how inflamed the situation was. Making the speech was at best grossly irresponsible and at worse an attempt to overthrow the government of the USA.

Totally agree. But it is still a relevant defense point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2021, 06:26:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2021, 05:30:12 PM

A couple of scenarios:

Totally agree. But it is still a relevant defense point.

Defense against what?  Trump and co are not being charged with being innocent before January 6.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

yes ... that was the house manager's impeachment case ...
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

So grumbler and MM--if you were the defense attorney of Trump and the prosecution played the video in whole or part of the speech on January 6, you wouldn't bring up that violent events were already in motion prior to the speech?

The Brain

If they were defense attorneys of Trump they would rock a 60 IQ and be unpaid. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Its funny to see the wailing and gnashing of loonyconservatives as the double standards start to be lessened and they face consequences for their nonsense.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2021, 04:24:36 AM
So grumbler and MM--if you were the defense attorney of Trump and the prosecution played the video in whole or part of the speech on January 6, you wouldn't bring up that violent events were already in motion prior to the speech?

It's evidence for the prosecution.  I would raise it only to minimize it - i.e. we don't know who did it or what the connection was to the Capitol attack.  But more likely I'd say nothing about it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I'm not sure I want to live in country where "only voice is allowed to be heard".  I like music as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Finally the rightful place of acapella will be enforced.

Eddie Teach

Be a neat trick to stifle noises made by objects falling or striking each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2021, 09:38:04 AM
I'm not sure I want to live in country where "only voice is allowed to be heard".  I like music as well.

Be nice to Oleg now. He needs to fill his quota of Facebook posts and is working with Google translate.