News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 12:05:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 11:52:53 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 10:02:14 AM
I have no idea why the provinces vary so much in suicide rates.

For some reason, Quebec and New Brunswick have a much higher rate than Ontario and PEI. Why this should be so, I do not know.

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/provincial/society/suicides.aspx

I wonder how the rates break down within Quebec Ontario and BC.  Rural vs Urban - less mental health resources vs access to a wide variety of services perhaps?

Good questions - I also wondered whether the relative percentage of the population being First Nations would have something to do with it, as I remember hearing they have a higher average suicide rate than the non-First Nations population.

Yeah, I think there is a lot to that, and would help explain PEI's low rate

Malthus

My proposal doesn't hold water though - Ontario has a larger percentage of First Nations than Quebec.

Ontario is at 2.8%, Quebec at 1.75%.

So that cannot explain why Quebec has a higher percentage suicide rate than Ontario.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

More searching - found a Globe article, that claims some is better reporting in Quebec, but not all; that even allowing for better reporting, the rate among men in Quebec (and New Brunswick) in particular is high, but basically no-one knows why. Speculation as to "cultural factors", though no detail as to what those could be.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/national/quebec-canadas-suicide-hot-spot/article20433408/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

The root of the problem is probably the oppressively boot of the British Monarchy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 03:38:27 PM
My proposal doesn't hold water though - Ontario has a larger percentage of First Nations than Quebec.

So that cannot explain why Quebec has a higher percentage suicide rate than Ontario.

Percentage is probably not exactly useful. First Nations living in urban areas of Southern Ontario (or close to Montreal) =/= isolated communities in the North. And it wouldn't exactly explain NB either. Quebec's suicide rate has been way above Canadian average since at least the 80s - 90s; at that time, it was mostly teenagers and young adults (and mostly men). Today, it's mostly 45-64 y.o., as in the rest of Canada. There hasn't been any good explanation for this difference. It seems clear that there is a cultural difference (i.e., it's also higher in francophone NB than it is in anglophone NB, and people who commit suicide in Quebec usually do not use firearms, contrary to the ROC) - but what lies behind such a cultural difference is difficult to pinpoint.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 17, 2021, 05:57:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 03:38:27 PM

Percentage is probably not exactly useful. First Nations living in urban areas of Southern Ontario (or close to Montreal) =/= isolated communities in the North. And it wouldn't exactly explain NB either. Quebec's suicide rate has been way above Canadian average since at least the 80s - 90s; at that time, it was mostly teenagers and young adults (and mostly men). Today, it's mostly 45-64 y.o., as in the rest of Canada. There hasn't been any good explanation for this difference. It seems clear that there is a cultural difference (i.e., it's also higher in francophone NB than it is in anglophone NB, and people who commit suicide in Quebec usually do not use firearms, contrary to the ROC) - but what lies behind such a cultural difference is difficult to pinpoint.

Yeah, did a bit of searching of articles, posted one below this comment, found that there isn't any obvious reason for the difference, other than cultural differences - though what differences may be implicated is not easy to determine. Essentially, there is a difference, but the reason for it is not clear.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I think a friend might have gone nutty.

They shared this article with an air of Biden loves China...

https://nypost.com/2021/02/17/biden-says-uighur-genocide-is-part-of-chinas-different-norms/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2UasXWiAYiTvUTHxQuTaGx4artMNljWLcyXfLJIPPplS1NsKUB_iven3Q

Biden dismisses Uighur genocide as part of China's 'different norms'

When the article itself says...

Quote"If you know anything about Chinese history, it has always been, the time when China has been victimized by the outer world is when they haven't been unified at home," Biden began. "So the central — well, vastly overstated — the central principle of Xi Jinping is that there must be a united, tightly controlled China. And he uses his rationale for the things he does based on that."

"I point out to him no American president can be sustained as a president, if he doesn't reflect the values of the United States," the US president continued. "And so the idea that I am not going to speak out against what he's doing in Hong Kong, what he's doing with the Uighurs in western mountains of China and Taiwan — trying to end the one China policy by making it forceful ... [Xi] gets it."

Asked during the town hall whether there would be repercussions for the CCP over the genocide, Biden sidestepped the question, saying the US would "reassert our role as spokespersons for human rights at the UN and other agencies."

"Well, there will be repercussions for China and [Xi] knows that. What I'm doing is, making clear that we, in fact, are going to continue to reassert our role as spokespersons for human rights at the UN and other agencies that have an impact on their attitude," he said.

:hmm:

err....well....that's....an interpretation?
Not one that displays much comprehension of English but.....yeah.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2021, 04:17:37 AM
Ah. Has it never been cold before in Germany prior to this year?

Truth be told, I've seen no articles that due to a few frost/snow days Germany was falling into an energy crisis as that article seems to hint at.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I think Bud Brigham knows more about Germany than some random dude on Languish. No offense.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 06:12:31 AM
The site seems to be (shock!) nutters or exploiters of nutters: https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/%22Stop_These_Things%22
Thats my last name. I'll thank you not to use it as a perjorative term.

What if I said, "the site seems to be timmays or exploiters of timmays?"
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 18, 2021, 08:29:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 06:12:31 AM
The site seems to be (shock!) nutters or exploiters of nutters: https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/%22Stop_These_Things%22
Thats my last name. I'll thank you not to use it as a perjorative term.

What if I said, "the site seems to be timmays or exploiters of timmays?"

I apologize and shall use "nutjobs", "headcases", and "conspiracists" henceforth (though the former two seem unfair towards raz).
—Stephen Jay Gould