News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

"Watch the news" and "Do your research" are synonomous with reading non-credited memes on social media as a form of undeniable fact.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2021, 03:00:11 AM

What is hilarious is that this us so obviously written by someone who does not speak English as their first language. I mean, I expect Trump supporters to be at best semi-literate, but the pattern of mistakes here make it sound almost as if someone is trying to imitate a Russian troll. 😄

Read it with a Boris Badenof accent ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

You are supposed to say it in broken English.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on February 12, 2021, 10:11:30 AMWhat is hilarious is that this us so obviously written by someone who does not speak English as their first language. I mean, I expect Trump supporters to be at best semi-literate, but the pattern of mistakes here make it sound almost as if someone is trying to imitate a Russian troll. 😄

Read it with a Boris Badenof accent ...

Well, my sister was born in Germany (she has been naturalized for many years, though). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

:lmfao:

They had to give up their Confederate flags too, and were banned by Twitter. 

Josquius

Interesting how they still go on with the nazis and gun control thing despite the nazis relaxing gun control laws.
The lesser Syt is really pushing the whole nazi thing heavily of late....
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'm fairly certain the Nazis had laws against Jews owning guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The Nazi comparisons really need to stop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2021, 05:35:36 PM
And doing much of anything. Their not being allowed weapons was pretty incidental.
In terms of gun control the nazis broadly slackened restrictions for those they considered German.
It's fairly standard in the world today that getting a firearms license is a lot harder as a foreigner.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2021, 02:45:14 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2021, 05:35:36 PM
And doing much of anything. Their not being allowed weapons was pretty incidental.
In terms of gun control the nazis broadly slackened restrictions for those they considered German.
It's fairly standard in the world today that getting a firearms license is a lot harder as a foreigner.

The point of those comparisons isn't that Nazis hate guns. It's that taking away people's guns opens them up for further abuse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

QuoteFew German citizens owned, or were entitled to own firearms in Germany in the early 1930s,[2] the Weimar Republic having strict gun control laws.[8] When the Nazi party gained power, some aspects of gun regulation were loosened, such as allowing firearm ownership for Nazi party members and the military.[5]:672 The laws were tightened in other ways. Nazi laws systematically disarmed "unreliable" persons, especially Jews, but relaxed restrictions for so-called "ordinary" German citizens.[5]:670,676 The policies were later expanded to include the confiscation of arms in occupied countries.[9]:533,536

Wiki.

Makes more sense than the Jews had their guns taken away thesis.

Malthus

The most nonsense is the idea that the average citizen, if provided access to guns, would have fought off the Nazi state (or indeed attempted to).

The reality is that if the state decided to crush you, there was little you could do about it. Unless you were (a) organized already, (b) in a place where the landscape allowed for guerrilla warfare, and (c) had the backing of friendly states. Most importantly, (d) already know that there was no point in acquiescence and having an ideology that allowed for all of your family, friends etc. to face death.

Only when these factors were present, was any real resistance made to the Nazi state, even in places were guns were plentiful (such as nations overrun by the Nazis, whose defeated armed forces scattered into the surrounding population).

Your average shopkeeper from Munich was no more able to resist the Nazis with his or her handgun, than fly to the Moon. Attempting to do so would just be suicide with extra steps, involving your family etc. Of course, we know with hindsight that in the case of the Jews, the families would die anyway, but the Nazis were very good at keeping their victim's hopes alive that if you just acquiesced, you or your family would be spared ...

Proof: the Nazis disposed of plenty of internal enemies who definitely were armed - for example, after the bomb attack on Hitler, they rounded up thousands of people, many in the armed forces, who of course were armed. They went more or less quietly ... few attempted armed resistance, even though they must have known their chances were not good.

Having guns (and indeed military experience) did not save them; it was unlikely to save the average Jew, who was far less capable of armed resistance than (say) a professional soldier.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius