News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2021, 06:40:38 PM
I will say one good thing about Hitler and Co. They called a Jew a Jew.
Sure they had their own dog whistles, but by modern standards they were clear.
Maybe not the best example ever? :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2021, 11:40:55 PM

Indeed
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2021, 11:40:55 PM
Why?
It's true that they were pretty clear about which groups they hated and wanted rid of.
Not so much tip toing with metropolitan Liberal Elites or vague "them"
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The Nazis were clear because the hate in their minds was clear. Proud Boys and the like may have strong prejudices, but generally don't believe they are racist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The Proud Boys seem pretty anti-Semitic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Nothing screams privilege so much as complaining you have a full time job that pays enough that you pay high taxes.

Valmy

I do wish we had a better term for "whatever your position in life is, and however much the system has screwed you over, at least you don't have to deal with the racism and impacts of historical oppression like non-whites in this country" than white privilege. But it is what it is. Maybe people shouldn't worry about that and try to solve real problems and not semantic ones?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2021, 01:14:19 PM
I do wish we had a better term for "whatever your position in life is, and however much the system has screwed you over, at least you don't have to deal with the racism and impacts of historical oppression like non-whites in this country" than white privilege. But it is what it is. Maybe people shouldn't worry about that and try to solve real problems and not semantic ones?

But that is exactly what it is.  The whiteness of skin has been an extreme advantage.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2021, 01:29:32 PM
The whiteness of skin has been an extreme advantage.

I mean that is clear looking at the data. However, all kinds of things are advantages, but the term privilege gets people who have the lived experience of having a shitty and hard time being all pissed off. And I get that, if you are part of some underclass or part of the huge number of white people in prison or whatever, also being told how many advantages you have would be enraging considering how much the deck is stacked against you personally. Which is why it is semantic, I just stated it does point to a real thing that I think most people would acknowledge is true. But maybe better effort should be spent trying to solve the actual structural problems that create a vast underclass and huge prison population than trying to find words that make people feel better.

Having said that the person who wrote this meme doesn't sound particularly oppressed.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I agree it's less white privilege and more not-white disadvantage.
But the term is well known enough that people should be clear on what it actually means.
Alas the world is full of idiots and those who which to profit from them.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2021, 01:57:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2021, 01:29:32 PM

But that is exactly what it is. The whiteness of skin has been an extreme advantage.

I mean that is clear looking at the data. However, all kinds of things are advantages, but the term privilege gets people who have the lived experience of having a shitty and hard time being all pissed off. And I get that, if you are part of some underclass or part of the huge number of white people in prison or whatever, also being told how many advantages you have would be enraging considering how much the deck is stacked against you personally. Which is why it is semantic, I just stated it does point to a real thing that I think most people would acknowledge is true. But maybe better effort should be spent trying to solve the actual structural problems that create a vast underclass and huge prison population than trying to find words that make people feel better.

Having said that the person who wrote this meme doesn't sound particularly oppressed.

I replaced and bolded the part of my quote that is most relevant to what you just said.  If white folks think they have a lived experience that causes them to think they have it tough, they should probably reflect on how much more difficult it would have been for them in the same circumstances, with dark skin.

Why would you want to make white folks who dont understand the principle of white privilege feel better?