Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Just a reminder that sometimes people are opposed to oppression not out of principle, but because that oppression is aimed against them.  Myanmar was a very sad example of that.  Same goes for many Soviet Jewish immigrants, who embraced virulent racism and everything that goes with it almost as soon as they left USSR.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 11:37:09 AM
It's a weird twist that a Falun Gong newspaper decided to be a Trump mouthpiece.

I guess there is just something about weird East Asian cults that drives them in to conservative causes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2021, 01:05:57 PM
I guess there is just something about weird East Asian cults that drives them in to conservative causes.

Aum Shinrikyo never started a conservative newspaper. :nerd:

Josquius

It's a weird twist that a Falun Gong newspaper decided to be a Trump mouthpiece.

I've noticed that from "China uncovered" on YouTube. They used to be interesting. Now they're just so... Nutty. They've a channel called America uncovered too which gets very trumpy.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2021, 01:27:33 PM
I've noticed that from "China uncovered" on YouTube. They used to be interesting. Now they're just so... Nutty. They've a channel called America uncovered too which gets very trumpy.

Do you mean the paper or the cult used to be interesting?  Because the cult has always been nutty.

Valmy

He is talking about a Youtube channel. I don't know how connected it is to Falun Gong if at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2021, 01:37:05 PM
He is talking about a Youtube channel. I don't know how connected it is to Falun Gong if at all.
They run it.

And yeah. The channel used to be interesting.

The group being nutty.... Meh. No more than any other religious group.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Two reasons for that:

1) Anti-CCP Chinese are easily taken in by Trump's rhetoric. They think he's the one who's going to take a hard line with Xi and China and they don't really care about or understand internal US politics.

2) IIRC, when the Falun Gong folks tried to improve the Epoch Times' operations and reach the people they hired where US right wing political operatives of a flavour that went hard for Trump when he showed up. Quite possibly for reasons related to #1 (anti-CCP Chinese folks tend to take Republican chicken-hawk posturing at face value).

DGuller

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2021, 02:15:39 AM

Two reasons for that:

1) Anti-CCP Chinese are easily taken in by Trump's rhetoric. They think he's the one who's going to take a hard line with Xi and China and they don't really care about or understand internal US politics.

2) IIRC, when the Falun Gong folks tried to improve the Epoch Times' operations and reach the people they hired where US right wing political operatives of a flavour that went hard for Trump when he showed up. Quite possibly for reasons related to #1 (anti-CCP Chinese folks tend to take Republican chicken-hawk posturing at face value).

Jake! :o :hug:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

:o :w00t:
Finally something good in this awful awful year.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

:cheers:

It's been a while, eh? I started a thread to catch up :)