Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

They're clearly in the "anger" stage of dealing with the election results.

(the fraud allegations would count as "denial", I suppose?)

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Sorry, not when you're spouting batshit crazy stuff.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2020, 05:02:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2020, 04:40:20 AM
Oh the irony is hilarious  :lol: Wow.

That's what I don't get. See, I can understand (not approve) two kind of trumpists:

a) The FUCK YOU LIBERALS crowd.
b) The "Trump is a disgusting human but it gives me 6 conservative justices and loads of conservative federal judges" crowd.

But this "Trump is a good man that cares for the country and others" malarkey? Who's *that* delusional to actually believe that?

My aunt :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2020, 10:00:08 AM
Some good examples of a lack of critical thinking in this article :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/covid-liverpool-britain-inequality-poorer-regions

"The internet, that unreliable friend, has slid into this vacuum. "I just read that 25,000 people die every year from the flu, and we don't have a lockdown for that, do we?", said an irritable man to his wife in the coffee shop queue just after 9am on Monday, idly watching two slightly younger, even more irritable men start fighting outside. "Where did you see that?," she responded. "I dunno, some fella on the internet."

Returning with my kids from a half-term trip into the centre of town last week, the taxi driver informed us of Donald Trump's efforts to "do something about those child traffickers". I asked where he'd heard about this, recognising the reference as a QAnon trope. "I saw this video on YouTube. I mean, you can love him or hate him, but he gets the job done. We could do with some of that over here.""

I think we can all shelve our critical thinking at times; the concern is that many, perhaps a majority, have no real way of exerting critical thinking as they wade through a morass of garbage on the internet.

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2020, 05:02:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2020, 04:40:20 AM
Oh the irony is hilarious  :lol: Wow.

That's what I don't get. See, I can understand (not approve) two kind of trumpists:

a) The FUCK YOU LIBERALS crowd.
b) The "Trump is a disgusting human but it gives me 6 conservative justices and loads of conservative federal judges" crowd.

But this "Trump is a good man that cares for the country and others" malarkey? Who's *that* delusional to actually believe that?

Isn't the basis for QAnon that Trump is fighting a secret war against evil pedophile celebrities? If you're deluded enough to believe that, believing the cartoon is a much lower bar.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I mean a few thousand did.

But tens of millions voted for Biden. So there is that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Hell yeah, there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in Santa Cruz after the 2016 election.  The students knew.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Thanks Dr. Phil but I think we've had enough dumping on the Trump family for now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

I gotta give props to the meme-maker: Dr. Phil did actually say this.  :thumbsup:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/02/05/get-a-damn-job-dr-phil-has-plenty-to-say-when-megyn-kelly-asks-him-about-entitlement-culture-in-america

Of course what does that say about social media that both Meri and I just assumed that the meme in question was probably false.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.