Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Richard Hakluyt

His hands would be in a different place  :mad:

celedhring

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2020, 04:40:20 AM
Oh the irony is hilarious  :lol: Wow.

That's what I don't get. See, I can understand (not approve) two kind of trumpists:

a) The FUCK YOU LIBERALS crowd.
b) The "Trump is a disgusting human but it gives me 6 conservative justices and loads of conservative federal judges" crowd.

But this "Trump is a good man that cares for the country and others" malarkey? Who's *that* delusional to actually believe that?

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2020, 05:02:31 AM

That's what I don't get. See, I can understand (not approve) two kind of trumpists:

b) The "Trump is a disgusting human but it gives me 6 conservative justices and loads of conservative federal judges" crowd.

But this "Trump is a good man that cares for the country and others" malarkey? Who's *that* delusional to actually believe that?

I think nobody. But they feel loyalty requires public showing of such attitudes. Much like going to Church despite being a deplorable petty little shit.

The Brain

Not all churches are as bad as the Catholic church.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

A lot of people.  Part of it is cognitive dissonance and other part is because any thing bad about Trump is fake news.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

I think we constantly underestimates how much some people put stock into what the president says. We've seen countless idiots telling us that Trump did a lot of things for them in his 4 years because he told them he did.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

The white supremist who believes in the virtue of his cause.

Josquius

:yes:

Its always the same though.
With brexit for instance I understood the trigger teh libs crowd and the neo-libs.
Then there was the great mass of people who were brainwashed to believe the nonsense about 350 million a week miraculously being freed up for lovely things, schrodingers immigrant, etc....

There's a lot of people out there whose brains are fundamentally broken. They don't just have a different view on the way the world should be, they don't grasp what the world even is. Its not without reason that there tends to be a huge correlation between education and sane views.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Some good examples of a lack of critical thinking in this article :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/covid-liverpool-britain-inequality-poorer-regions

"The internet, that unreliable friend, has slid into this vacuum. "I just read that 25,000 people die every year from the flu, and we don't have a lockdown for that, do we?", said an irritable man to his wife in the coffee shop queue just after 9am on Monday, idly watching two slightly younger, even more irritable men start fighting outside. "Where did you see that?," she responded. "I dunno, some fella on the internet."

Returning with my kids from a half-term trip into the centre of town last week, the taxi driver informed us of Donald Trump's efforts to "do something about those child traffickers". I asked where he'd heard about this, recognising the reference as a QAnon trope. "I saw this video on YouTube. I mean, you can love him or hate him, but he gets the job done. We could do with some of that over here.""

I think we can all shelve our critical thinking at times; the concern is that many, perhaps a majority, have no real way of exerting critical thinking as they wade through a morass of garbage on the internet.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2020, 10:00:08 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/covid-liverpool-britain-inequality-poorer-regions

"The internet, that unreliable friend, has slid into this vacuum. "I just read that 25,000 people die every year from the flu, and we don't have a lockdown for that, do we?", said an irritable man to his wife in the coffee shop queue just after 9am on Monday, idly watching two slightly younger, even more irritable men start fighting outside. "Where did you see that?," she responded. "I dunno, some fella on the internet."

Returning with my kids from a half-term trip into the centre of town last week, the taxi driver informed us of Donald Trump's efforts to "do something about those child traffickers". I asked where he'd heard about this, recognising the reference as a QAnon trope. "I saw this video on YouTube. I mean, you can love him or hate him, but he gets the job done. We could do with some of that over here.""

I think we can all shelve our critical thinking at times; the concern is that many, perhaps a majority, have no real way of exerting critical thinking as they wade through a morass of garbage on the internet.

Such views are astonishing. He absolutely did nothing apart from bullying people who could not fight back.

The Brain

As I often say, many people enjoy living in a fantasy world. They genuinely prefer it to the real one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2020, 10:00:08 AM

I've heard this all too often about Farage "He's the only politician who tells it like it is!"
No he doesn't. He's one of the least truthful politicians out there.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

How my middle sister feels:

Addendum - my oldest sister's mood (she shared this post from someone else):

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.