News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

In a certain way, "stick" is not such a terrible choice of words, even if it's not exactly a precise medical term or might seem insensitive, as many of these early pregnancies that fail are due to the embryo not being able to properly attach itself to the uterine wall in the first few months. This is a relatively common occurence, I myself I'm a "2nd try" baby, so to speak, as my mom lost a prior pregnancy in the 2nd or 3rd month, and shortly afterwards became pregnant with me. This is also apparently a pretty common thing, according to my mom, as the procedure that women have to undergo after such a failed pregnancy leaves them quite susceptible to quickly becoming pregnant again. In fact a friend of mine who also lost her first pregnancy became pregnant with her first child less than a year afterwards and went on to have two more kids with no issue at all.

What I mean is, this is not uncommon, and although it is of course regrettable and a source of grief for the parents, it can be easily overcome.  :)

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2020, 05:39:24 AM
Tbf, there's knowing and there's "knowing", in practice the women I've known have waited till they were 100% sure the pregnancy would "stick" before informing the company.

:mellow:

Um... I lost my son at 20 weeks. There is no "sticking" for pregnancy. Every one is a risk.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Iirc it's something like 50% die in the first 3 months. After that it's pretty high chances of survivability with a long tail as week by week the risk decreases
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

And then after the baby is born, there is still a chance they might just die in their sleep during their first six months of life like my nephew :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2020, 01:11:01 PM
Iirc it's something like 50% die in the first 3 months. After that it's pretty high chances of survivability with a long tail as week by week the risk decreases

Depends on the mother's age.

Up to age 35, 30% of pregnancies end in the first six weeks. After 35, it can be up to 75%. All pregnancies have up to a 10% chance at miscarriage from six to 13 weeks. After that, it's 5% across the board regardless of the mother's age until she actually gives birth. But 5% is no joke. That's 1 in 20 pregnancies ending in miscarriage.

I don't know what the legal requirement here is regarding pregnancies and letting an employer know. I do know that it's not required to tell anyone during the hiring process, nor is it legal for a potential employer to ask. In fact, a woman can claim FMLA and never tell her employer that she was pregnant nor had a baby, and the company can't ask her why she's on FMLA so long as a doctor has signed the appropriate paperwork.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2020, 01:12:59 PM
And then after the baby is born, there is still a chance they might just die in their sleep during their first six months of life like my nephew :weep:
damn, that's terrible.  :(   
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Out of the hospital after a bleach treatment, Donald Trump says he's ready to "save the Republic"

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

QuoteThis is what they will have to do to stop me from talking.

It's from another source this time, not the ™Brown Eye™ but an alternative/anti-vaccine FB meme source/feed etc..

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Maybe it's fox news they're shooting for crimes against truth?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Fox News isn't there because they could never find the truth or recognize it in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2020, 09:53:43 PM
Fox News isn't there because they could never find the truth or recognize it in the first place.

Fox would never get that close to the truth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2020, 02:53:11 PM
I'm friends with a girl I went to Middle school (and High School) with on Facebook.  I admit, I had a crush on her in the 8th grade or maybe in the 7th.  She posted a video of herself talking about how God spoke to her and informed her about why the highest point of a tree is the middle.  And I'm thinking, "Damn, and she called me crazy".

So, I think she unfriended me because I told her that the FBI considers Qanon a threat .  I hadn't seen anything she wrote for a while, so I was curious and checked her profile.  Sure enough, she unfriended me (in her defense I am an obnoxious person that few people like).  She's also gone completely bonkers.  She keeps posting 10 minute monologues about what God is telling her. Weird things like God told her to write the word "Casablanca" on facebook or stating that God was waging "spiritual warfare" in her mind for two days before telling her about some rising evil.  Several seem to be prophetic dreams that make no sense to me.  Like a mall that became flooded and giant evil balloons rise out of the water.  I don't know what that is suppose to predict.  Sometimes she cries in these monologues.

She had been religious in high school, but really sounds like a mental illness.  I feel bad for her, but I'm not exactly in a position to do anything.  If she wanted my help, she'd have asked for it.  Still it's sad to see an old friend become deranged.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2020, 08:30:34 PM
(in her defense I am an obnoxious person that few people like). 
Really?  How do you figure that?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son