Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2020, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2020, 02:31:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2020, 02:17:36 PM
Some discrimination, including pregnancy discrimination, is just immoral and should be illegal because of that.

Why is this immoral?

Personally, I think it's immoral to expect the other parent to go back to work after just a couple of days. They, like the birth parent, should have a full 6-8 weeks of time to get to know and care for their new child.
or 12-18 months, just enough to wreak havok on the SMBs that depend on these employees.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
Personally, I think it's immoral to expect the other parent to go back to work after just a couple of days. They, like the birth parent, should have a full 6-8 weeks of time to get to know and care for their new child.
or 12-18 months, just enough to wreak havok on the SMBs that depend on these employees.

12-18 months is considerably different than 12 weeks.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

There should be plenty of notice beforehand for the employer to deal with any problems.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 08, 2020, 12:08:47 AM
There should be plenty of notice beforehand for the employer to deal with any problems.

Plenty of notice that an employee will need to go on mat leave?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Dunno about other countries, but over here he expectation is that the employer is informed as soon as the employee knows about the pregnancy, so that preparations can be made (12 months absence is common, and you see many job ads looking for people to fill maternity positions temporarily).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2020, 02:18:50 AM
Dunno about other countries, but over here he expectation is that the employer is informed as soon as the employee knows about the pregnancy, so that preparations can be made (12 months absence is common, and you see many job ads looking for people to fill maternity positions temporarily).

So then their employer gets to also easily be aware in case of miscarriage?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I've not encountered such a case in the past 20 years, but I suppose yes?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Seems awful given that couples often wait before even telling friends and family.

Josquius

I think 28 weeks or something like so is when you legally have to tell.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Tbf, there's knowing and there's "knowing", in practice the women I've known have waited till they were 100% sure the pregnancy would "stick" before informing the company.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2020, 01:55:01 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 08, 2020, 12:08:47 AM

Plenty of notice that an employee will need to go on mat leave?

Would be more notice than people leaving the company give, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2020, 02:31:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2020, 02:17:36 PM
Some discrimination, including pregnancy discrimination, is just immoral and should be illegal because of that.

Why is this immoral?

You know, our system is a maximum of 50 weeks for women.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2020, 05:39:24 AM
Tbf, there's knowing and there's "knowing", in practice the women I've known have waited till they were 100% sure the pregnancy would "stick" before informing the company.

I have never in my life encountered someone who used the word "stick" in that manner.  I would suggest you not use that phrase either.

Mrs B and I lost a child due to an early miscarriage in between kid #1 and #2.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I'm sorry, Beeb, didn't mean any disrespect.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2020, 10:02:37 AM
I'm sorry, Beeb, didn't mean any disrespect.

I know you didn't. :hug:

It's just so funny to think about.  What would that little baby have grown up to be like if he/she had made it?  But also Mrs B got pregnant again one month later, so if that baby had made it kid #2 Andrew wouldn't be with us.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.