Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 05:12:53 PM
... I really can't emphasize how bitter I am that I was under a stay at home order in the spring.

This kind of whiny shit is why we can't have nice things.

It was arbitrary and pointless. Explain to me what sense it made to put me under a stay at home order in the spring when cases were low and then have cinemas, gyms, tattoo parlors, bars, nightclubs, etc. all open when cases became much higher.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2020, 05:54:30 PM
Autumn > Spring :contract:

It wasn't a case of trading spring for autumn. It was a case of just throwing away spring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

It was a case of government and society both not knowing how to handle the crisis. Live and learn(hopefully).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 31, 2020, 09:12:21 PM
It was a case of government and society both not knowing how to handle the crisis. Live and learn(hopefully).

Well diseases are different so in the event we another of these horrible things we may end up fighting the last war.

Though I guess fighting the last war is still better than having little to no experience at all like this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 07:26:36 PM

It wasn't a case of trading spring for autumn. It was a case of just throwing away spring.

Please tell us more, because we didn't quite get it the first 23581 times you brought it up beforehand.

Jesus fucking Christ, can you get over it?

N
O
B
O
D
Y

C
A
R
E
S

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 07:24:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 05:12:53 PM
... I really can't emphasize how bitter I am that I was under a stay at home order in the spring.

This kind of whiny shit is why we can't have nice things.

It was arbitrary and pointless. Explain to me what sense it made to put me under a stay at home order in the spring when cases were low and then have cinemas, gyms, tattoo parlors, bars, nightclubs, etc. all open when cases became much higher.
The first part made sense.  The second didn't.  That's Republicans for you :)

It made sense to squash the numbers of cases, before communal/widespread transmission became a thing.  It avoided overloading ERs with covid-19 cases and removing space for other cases.

Now, it's too late for anything.  Even on lockdown, you'd have to be there for 3-4 months, and that's economically unsustainable.

Just accept that your wise President and his immensely talented administration all aimed at "herd immunity" from the beginning, since it's the nice, polite version of "fuck you all, I ain't doing shit, you're on your own while I stay isolated with everyone getting tested every day around me and having a doctor 2 minutes away from any emergency and a military helicopter to bring in front of the waiting line should I require any medical assistance whatsoever".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 07:26:36 PM

Since you botched it up, you get the worst of both worlds.  Nations that did it almost right won't have a problem come fall and will keep activities going on, albeit at a reduced rate, but still much higher than societies (I mean you guys, in the South) that chose to hide your head in the sand pretending it was nothing.

US economy is down the drain, worst than Canada, and that's telling something with the incompetent Supreme Leader Canadians elected.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2020, 12:17:22 AMworst than Canada, and that's telling something with the incompetent Supreme Leader Canadians elected.

Want to trade?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2020, 12:17:22 AM

Since you botched it up, you get the worst of both worlds.  Nations that did it almost right won't have a problem come fall and will keep activities going on, albeit at a reduced rate, but still much higher than societies (I mean you guys, in the South) that chose to hide your head in the sand pretending it was nothing.

Huh? What activities do you think you will allow to go on that we won't have? At least in Georgia almost everything opened back up by the time we reached the first week in May.

grumbler

It was neither arbitrary nor pointless, as the successful use of the technique elsewhere has shown.  It was, however, a failure, because the US has too many whiny fucks who can't emphasize how bitter they are that they were under a stay at home order in the spring, and so ignored it while pressuring politicians to allow the disease to continue to spread so that the whiny fucks could get back to going to the gym and mountain climbing.  The whiny fucks even use the failure they caused as evidence that the countermeasures were doomed to fail
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2020, 06:53:51 AM

It was neither arbitrary nor pointless, as the successful use of the technique elsewhere has shown.  It was, however, a failure, because the US has too many whiny fucks who can't emphasize how bitter they are that they were under a stay at home order in the spring, and so ignored it while pressuring politicians to allow the disease to continue to spread so that the whiny fucks could get back to going to the gym and mountain climbing.  The whiny fucks even use the failure they caused as evidence that the countermeasures were doomed to fail

Do you realize that Georgia is still below the US average in deaths per capita?

But that aside, I was saying that this shit was unsustainable back in early April. Time has proven me right. We live in a democracy where politicians are accountable to the people. You may label the people "whiny fucks", but that doesn't change that a lot of Americans just aren't interested in complying with the extreme versions of this shit. Especially when it is unprecedented--we never went to these lengths with Spanish Flu for example, which was dramatically worse.

Have fun not watching Michigan football this year.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2020, 06:53:51 AM

May I respectfully ask you and others to not re-engage Dorsey for the 295th time since March running through the exact same arguments that really just boil down to him being a whiny bitch who can't accept that his Spring gut ruined? Thank you.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2020, 07:24:58 AM
May I respectfully ask you and others to not re-engage Dorsey for the 295th time since March running through the exact same arguments that really just boil down to him being a whiny bitch who can't accept that his Spring gut ruined? Thank you.

I'm certainly not going to stop so long as you fuckers hang with the same logic that we should have been/should be stricter.

Grey Fox

Georgia should be much strictier right now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.