News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2020, 01:10:47 AM
I googled it, and all I got was 16 Marines arrested on suspicion of child trafficking, from 2019.

:blink:

Yi wins.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

How deep is your state? I really mean to learn.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2020, 01:19:31 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2020, 01:10:47 AM
I googled it, and all I got was 16 Marines arrested on suspicion of child trafficking, from 2019.

:blink:

Yi wins.

Not that shocking. It is less than 1 in 10,000.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2020, 12:56:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2020, 12:49:22 AM
Shared by my other sis:

:bleeding:

I had to check.

Interestingly, in the news today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/georgia-missing-children-us-marshals-trnd/index.html

Quote(CNN)Authorities have found 39 missing children in Georgia during a two-week effort to rescue endangered minors.
The US Marshals Service Missing Child Unit led the search, dubbed "Operation Not Forgotten." It collaborated with the agency's Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and state and local agencies.
The operation resulted in the rescue of 26 children and safe location of 13 others, US Marshals said in a news release on Thursday.
"The US Marshals Service is fully committed to assisting federal, state, and local agencies with locating and recovering endangered missing children, in addition to their primary fugitive apprehension mission," US Marshals Service Director Donald Washington said in a statement. "The message to missing children and their families is that we will never stop looking for you."

During the operation, authorities arrested nine people, cleared 26 warrants and filed additional charges for alleged crimes related to sex trafficking, parental kidnapping, registered sex offender violations, drugs and weapons possession and custodial interference, US Marshals said.
Some of the rescued children were believed to have been victims of child sex trafficking, child exploitation, sexual abuse, physical abuse and medical or mental health conditions. Others were missing and located at the request of law enforcement to make sure they weren't in danger.

The children ranged in age from 3 to 17, Washington said at a news conference. The rescues were "the most at risk and challenging recovery cases in the area," he said.
Every 40 seconds a child goes missing in the United States, accounting for 765,000 missing children a year, according to the FBI. Since US Marshals partnered with NCMEC in 2005, the agency has recovered more than 1,800 missing children.
[...]

Georgia, not California.  And US Marshals, not Marines.  Honest mistake... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

QuoteJust seen this last Saturday by myself

He also claimed two million people were there...

Syt

QuoteIf people would have said and done this while Obama was president they would have looked them up and charged with hate crimes and making terroristic threats.

QuoteJames Matthew Benson Jr.Auto Workers for Trump 2020
49m  ·
Apparently making bullying great again has always been the goal....
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEkCSyhJEGi/?igshid=19tyakffmj9g7
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 26, 2020, 01:05:25 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2020, 10:50:32 AM
They should have gone with heart disease. It really does kill more people, and you could work angles like that it disproportionately kills men (so does covid, but whatever) that the media doesn't care about (maybe even that the media doesn't realize the huge cost of families without fathers!). The age of death is younger (I think, didn't check) and most are preventable, but we don't shut down the economy to save those lives (because heart disease can't be blamed on Trump before an election). Probably most agricultural companies lean republican, but maybe there is one that leans democrat that you can tie into some nefarious lobbying.

If heart disease was contagious the same people would be calling to close stuff down, and for the same reason.

We don't shut down the economy to save people from heart disease because enforcing social distance doesn't do anything to stop heart disease, unless you practice distancing from beef jerky  Lefty types do express interest in heart disease - i.e. promoting healthy diet and greater access and utilization of health care. As Valmy indicates, that is not of interest to the average Qanoner

What has been the cost to society of the covid 19 response? Not just the trillions directly spent by the government, or the trillions of value destroyed in the economy at large. What about the lost cultural value - theaters closed, galleries and museums shut down, no concerts, no sports, far inferior education, parks closed, people commanded to stay indoors...

The lives saved from enforced healthy eating, enforced exercise, healthcare investments, and medical research would dramatically exceed those saved from covid, at a fraction of that cost.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 03:26:34 PM
What has been the cost to society of the covid 19 response? Not just the trillions directly spent by the government, or the trillions of value destroyed in the economy at large. What about the lost cultural value - theaters closed, galleries and museums shut down, no concerts, no sports, far inferior education, parks closed, people commanded to stay indoors...

The lives saved from enforced healthy eating, enforced exercise, healthcare investments, and medical research would dramatically exceed those saved from covid, at a fraction of that cost.

The cost of the Covid-19 response is dwarfed by the potential cost of ignoring Covid-19.  Trillions would be spent on treatment and the collection and disposal of the hundreds of thousands of bodies, trillions more in destroyed economic value as terrified people refused to leave their homes except for the most dire necessity, cultural value costs of entertainment venues galleries and museums, restaurants, bars, and cafes closing permanently (there wouldn't be anything temporary about those closures, as there would never be the prospect of reopening), and there would be no prospect of enforcing any eating dicta, forcing people to exercise, or investing in healthcare (because the healthcare system would be overwhelmed by covid 19 patients).  Some medical research might be carried out while governments could still borrow money, but the reduction in tax revenue would soon make that unaffordable.

No, the ostrich maneuver would only work with ostriches.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

They should have gone with heart disease. It really does kill more people, and you could work angles like that it disproportionately kills men (so does covid, but whatever) that the media doesn't care about (maybe even that the media doesn't realize the huge cost of families without fathers!). The age of death is younger (I think, didn't check) and most are preventable, but we don't shut down the economy to save those lives (because heart disease can't be blamed on Trump before an election). Probably most agricultural companies lean republican, but maybe there is one that leans democrat that you can tie into some nefarious lobbying.

If heart disease was contagious the same people would be calling to close stuff down, and for the same reason.

We don't shut down the economy to save people from heart disease because enforcing social distance doesn't do anything to stop heart disease, unless you practice distancing from beef jerky  Lefty types do express interest in heart disease - i.e. promoting healthy diet and greater access and utilization of health care. As Valmy indicates, that is not of interest to the average Qanoner

You know it's only been six months, yes? :unsure: You're acting like we've been in a dearth of all of these things for years.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

How much would that have happened anyways, even if we just ignored the coronavirus?

My kids school starts this week, in person, with several precautions.  Even with that we were told 1/3 of all kids won't be coming on the first day - their parents have pulled them.

Even if allowed, I wouldn't go to a sporting event right now.  I wouldn't go to a movie theatre.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2020, 04:26:34 PM
How much would that have happened anyways, even if we just ignored the coronavirus?

My kids school starts this week, in person, with several precautions.  Even with that we were told 1/3 of all kids won't be coming on the first day - their parents have pulled them.

Even if allowed, I wouldn't go to a sporting event right now.  I wouldn't go to a movie theatre.

You don't ignore coronavirus. You just don't force stuff to shut down and keep schools open. Some parents will keep their kids home, and of those some will effectively home school and have well educated children that are just going to miss out on a bit of socialization. Some won't, and those kids will be less educated.

I go to a gym everyday and one of the two is about as busy as it was before covid. The other is a lot less busy but it requires a mask and that kind of sucks while exercising. I have nothing against people that don't want to go to risk covid to go to the gym, but I really can't emphasize how bitter I am that I was under a stay at home order in the spring.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2020, 05:12:53 PM
... I really can't emphasize how bitter I am that I was under a stay at home order in the spring.

This kind of whiny shit is why we can't have nice things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."