News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2020, 12:07:38 PM
It totally misses the point of what's wrong with the cases of police rampantly and without consequence murdering blacks for the lulz, obviously, but it is true that if the races were reversed there would have been a bigger deal made out of it.

You know, that's actually not true. For hundreds of years, white children killed by anyone, but especially people of color, were pranced across the front pages of the newspapers. The culprits (or accused) were demonized, long before they were ever inside a courtroom.

Our history on this is very strongly on the side of whites. It's only been in the past year or so that children of color have gotten even a touch of the same treatment.

So please don't say shit like this. It's simply not true. In the United States, the death of a white child *still* gets more press and more sympathy than any black child.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2020, 01:12:05 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2020, 12:07:38 PM
It totally misses the point of what's wrong with the cases of police rampantly and without consequence murdering blacks for the lulz, obviously, but it is true that if the races were reversed there would have been a bigger deal made out of it.

You know, that's actually not true. For hundreds of years, white children killed by anyone, but especially people of color, were pranced across the front pages of the newspapers. The culprits (or accused) were demonized, long before they were ever inside a courtroom.

Our history on this is very strongly on the side of whites. It's only been in the past year or so that children of color have gotten even a touch of the same treatment.

So please don't say shit like this. It's simply not true. In the United States, the death of a white child *still* gets more press and more sympathy than any black child.

Yeah quite a display of ignorance on his part.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

To better rephrase, in the media I follow, ie leftist non-American news sites, this murder was not featured, but judging by the type of American murders they do cover, I think if it was a white guy killing a black kid they would have been better inclined to cover it.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2020, 03:00:24 PM
To better rephrase, in the media I follow, ie leftist non-American news sites, this murder was not featured, but judging by the type of American murders they do cover, I think if it was a white guy killing a black kid they would have been better inclined to cover it.

We have thousands of murders per year. How many murders in the United States do they report every year that are not done by the police?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2020, 03:17:21 PMWe have thousands of murders per year. How many murders in the United States do they report every year that are not done by the police?

Media tends to feed existing narratives. In many places outside of the US, that narrative includes as elements "Racist against Black people", and "Gun-crazy", and thus, media tend to pay attention to, and report, those incidents.

Same in American media, that pays a lot of attention to antisemitism in France - and very little to islamophobia in France. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2020, 03:17:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2020, 03:00:24 PM

We have thousands of murders per year. How many murders in the United States do they report every year that are not done by the police?

Only the ones where the victim is a cute, white, and blonde female.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2020, 12:30:38 PM
A good point which is why I thought BLM would have wider support. Holding police accountable for this stuff helps every community.
I don't think it does necessarily.  Let's be honest, a lot of white people view police as a "muscle" to keep the black people away from them.  Them more you look the other way at their misdeeds, the more effective they can be as that muscle.  Yes, that does increase the risk that a white person would be on the wrong side of police lack of accountability, but that's a price many would accept.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2020, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2020, 12:30:38 PM
A good point which is why I thought BLM would have wider support. Holding police accountable for this stuff helps every community.
I don't think it does necessarily.  Let's be honest, a lot of white people view police as a "muscle" to keep the black people away from them.  Them more you look the other way at their misdeeds, the more effective they can be as that muscle.  Yes, that does increase the risk that a white person would be on the wrong side of police lack of accountability, but that's a price many would accept.

Yes you made this point before. It had just not ever entered my mind that that is how some people think. White people who end up getting hurt are just collateral damage I believe you said.

So, as I said, I naively thought the reaction back in 2016 would be one way and clearly went the other way. A lot has changed in my opinion of the people of this country since then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

But they'll vote again Republican, because the Democrats will destroy America.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Admiral Yi

It looks a little shoppy to me.  Not that I know who Tyler Webster is.

Valmy

Well one tanked our economy and has killed 150,000+ Americans. The other hasn't.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PMFrom you know whom.  :P

You keep saying that, and I don't think any of us know who you're talking about.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on August 16, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PMFrom you know whom.  :P

You keep saying that, and I don't think any of us know who you're talking about.

Yeah, this.  ^
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!