News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

It's not all that new really.  "Remember the Maine, and to hell with Spain", and all that.

Threviel

Yeah, propaganda is propaganda and so on. Jews eats babies, papists are the devils kin and so on all fit into existing beliefs in people.

That was the first time I saw it in practice though and/or the first time I saw through it.

Syt

The last one is from my oldest sister, the nurse. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 09:07:29 AMI will be taking a break from these. :)

I think that'll be good for your mental health, because you know they'll be going into overdrive in the next few months.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 09:07:29 AM

They've got a point. Biden never advised Obama to throw Donald Trump out of the White House.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 07:37:11 AM

44 States have reported child mortality data on COVID-19 according to American Academy of Peditrics
That data shows that 76 children have died in those states.

66,667 x 76 = 5,066,692

The data on child trafficking is not super accurate and precise for obvious reasons but it is safe to say that 5 million children are not trafficked each year in the US.   I looked at a 2017 state department report on human trafficking and it reported about 8000-9000 victims per year (children + adults) for the entire Western Hemisphere.  That is probably lower than the actual, and you can find higher stats on the internet but obviously it isn't anywhere close to 5 million.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

But where else is the adrenochrome for the elites of the world coming from?  :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2020, 10:15:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 09:07:29 AMI will be taking a break from these. :)

I think that'll be good for your mental health, because you know they'll be going into overdrive in the next few months.

A last one for the road:

My nephew (previously niece) told his friends on Facebook that he's no longer checking in because he realized there's too many white supremacists amongst his friends since the BLM protests started and blocking them all would be unfeasible. His brother (who unfriended me :unsure: ) seems to be in a similar camp, but rather appear to have broken off contact with his parents. Appears to be a family trait. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 07:37:11 AM

Yeah I am not going to wear a mask. That will sure show big pharma when I get sick and then have to buy their products!

Helping human trafficking? Now that is some impressive straw grasping.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

One thing I can't decide on is how we should view the Syt sisters among us.  Are they sick people who fell into a self-reinforcing rabbit hole, or are they just innately horrible people?  I honestly don't know.  I'd like to think that they're just sick people, because if they're horrible people, then we're enabling these family members by not renouncing them.

The Brain

You can't be expected to renounce family. Blood is more nutritious than water.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2020, 12:24:10 PM
One thing I can't decide on is how we should view the Syt sisters among us.  Are they sick people who fell into a self-reinforcing rabbit hole, or are they just innately horrible people?  I honestly don't know.  I'd like to think that they're just sick people, because if they're horrible people, then we're enabling these family members by not renouncing them.

If anything Languish is what's weird.

Few people care enough about stuff to seek information. Even less will willingly look for someone else's contrary opinion once they've formed one.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2020, 12:24:10 PM

They've always been pro-Republican, because in their view Republicans = pro-military = good for military families & their paychecks/benefits. She and my oldest sister both married American soldiers in second marriage. Her daughter married an Army Sergeant. Of my oldest sister, the two eldest are/were in the Navy, the other two kids are/were in the JROTC.

My middle sister complained in the past that "blacks behave like we still owe them something" and she wasn't a fan of Hispanics when living in El Paso. I remember visiting in 2002 and her storming out of a Target in NC shouting "Fucking n***ers, treating white people like trash!" because a black customer service guy didn't see us waiting and served a black customer first. But of course there's "good" blacks, too, usually other military members they met during various stations.

Her posting these things only started in force during the Obama administration. My youngest sister, married to a half-Native American, has started posting these things more in the last year or three.

I don't think we really talked politics when they were still in Germany; certainly not with my oldest sister who I haven't seen in person since 1986 or so. They all finished with the minimum school degree, and worked low qualification blue collar jobs. In a way, my oldest, with a nurse's degree has the highest level of formal education after me among my sisters and their kids. I wouldn't call them dumb, though. Unreflected, maybe?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 02:47:54 PM
My middle sister complained in the past that "blacks behave like we still owe them something" and she wasn't a fan of Hispanics when living in El Paso. I remember visiting in 2002 and her storming out of a Target in NC shouting "Fucking n***ers, treating white people like trash!" because a black customer service guy didn't see us waiting and served a black customer first. But of course there's "good" blacks, too, usually other military members they met during various stations.

:wacko:

Your middle sister is so far beyond the pale she cannot even see the pale.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."