News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

at least the donkey cartoon is kind of funny
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2020, 01:11:44 AM
Cash fanatics are a weird breed. Why the hell would you want to use cash? It's inconvenient af.

Using cash isn't the point. Being told "no" is the point. How dare they!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Shared by my sister (I believe the video was referenced in another thread); comment by her more radical friend.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2020, 12:09:36 AM
I put the images into Google search.
Top Left: Unable to find news story, but I find it in a right-wing Wordpress article from 2012, linked to "Muslim Riots in Australia". Police uniform looks Australian.
Bottom Left: West Australia cop beaten up in a pub brawl in Western Australia 2006.
Bottom Right: Officer David Rudd who broke up a fight on Christmas Day 2009 in Wyndham, Western Australia.
Top Right: officer attacked by a man in Brighton-Le-Sands, New South Wales, April 2019.

I'd correct this on my sister's timeline, but the response this got in the past is, "Well, but they're still attacking/hurting/killing innocent police officers." It's about the content of the message, not of the facts behind the images.

Well if they are doing that surely you can find some evidence of this occuring and not use lies?

So if you posted piles of murdered people from the darfur genocide and captioned it saying the police are committing violence against black people they would be fine with that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

From what I would figure about most people making those kind of memes, I think it is more likely they are just lazy and do a 2-minute google image search of "police injuries", copy/paste, add slanted political message, and move on.

The Brain

Yeah it's not like Russian civil servants make a million dollars. They can spend maybe 5 mins on a good original meme if they want to eat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 28, 2020, 02:50:29 PM
From what I would figure about most people making those kind of memes, I think it is more likely they are just lazy and do a 2-minute google image search of "police injuries", copy/paste, add slanted political message, and move on.

It is just frustrating when you call somebody out on posting lies they are just like "eh, so what?" rather than apologizing and promising to fact check better or something, you know, a normal person would do in that case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2020, 03:05:14 PM

It is just frustrating when you call somebody out on posting lies they are just like "eh, so what?" rather than apologizing and promising to fact check better or something, you know, a normal person would do in that case.

I'm starting to more and more understand what Colbert was talking about when he coined the phrase "truthiness".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2020, 03:05:14 PM

I don't disagree there at all...it is one of the lame things about social media (as the thread title indicates)...those who tend to use Facebook primarily as their personal bully pulpit also usually tend to be lazy about it, and just lazily copy/paste every single lame, shoddy political meme or photo/slogan they find.

If anything, I think it is a stark sign of intellectual laziness.  Just make your facebook post an articulation of what you think...not just repost some crappy photo/slogan that you found/were passed/was cooked up by the Russians.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2020, 02:55:14 PM
Yeah it's not like Russian civil servants make a million dollars. They can spend maybe 5 mins on a good original meme if they want to eat.
Depends on the servant.

Tonitrus

Syt

https://www.facebook.com/bucsfan1/videos/3425508000814662
QuoteMichael Stiles

Systemic racism does exist in the United States. ...
(Link has compilation video of blacks punching and attacking whites)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

The first big case that I noticed of facts not fitting, so let's make up something that fits the narrative, was Michael Moore and his documentaries. I'm sure there are lots of cases before that, but that was the one where I became aware of how easy people can be fooled by just making shit up.

I don't remember how the Languish debate went that time, but I think it should have been a warning of what is to come.