Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 11:37:40 AM
There has always been a nationalist strain in the black community wanting that. Being nationalists you should support them :P
I don't mind if they want their own schools, lots of people have their own private schools, so long as they conform to the minimum required by the Department of Education.

However, I still find silly that they are in favour of segregation to fight racism.  It will only exacerbate tentions between both communities, but it is their choices, nothing prevents it, I doubt the actual Federal government would stand in their way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2020, 12:01:10 PM
I have to correct you though - if the Queen passes on, it is the Canadian flag that flies at half mast, as she is the Queen of Canada.
It wasn't the flag when she was born, nor when she became Queen, hence you should respect traditions :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:36:05 PM
Sure, but it is the flag of your country.  Which raises the question why someone who is not a citizen of your country and is not living in your country feels the urge to put it on their flag pole.

If you own a flag pole you get the urge to fly all sorts of flags on it...speaking as somebody who once owned a flagpole.

I want a flagpole :(

I'd be flying the Montagnard all day every day :frog:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2020, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 11:37:40 AM
There has always been a nationalist strain in the black community wanting that. Being nationalists you should support them :P
I don't mind if they want their own schools, lots of people have their own private schools, so long as they conform to the minimum required by the Department of Education.

However, I still find silly that they are in favour of segregation to fight racism.  It will only exacerbate tentions between both communities, but it is their choices, nothing prevents it, I doubt the actual Federal government would stand in their way.

Of course it will exacerbate tensions. They want that. They want separation. Not sure why you would find that confusing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:11:48 PM
So it represents what exactly?

The country of the United States of America?

Well that is a pretty big and complicated topic is it not? Surely there is at least one thing we have done or are about that Canadians can find admirable.

Depends on what you mean by we.  The nation known the United States of America has done a lot of damage over the last 3.5 years.  Not sure there is anything in that period of time that a citizen of another country should feel compelled to honour.  Mourn perhaps.

So the entire country and all its people are entirely the actions of a government that did not even get a plurality vote in an election in 2016 and nothing more?

That seems ridiculously and absurdly reductionist. But hopefully BB can fly the US flag next year without your reproach.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 07:24:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:11:48 PM
So it represents what exactly?

The country of the United States of America?

Well that is a pretty big and complicated topic is it not? Surely there is at least one thing we have done or are about that Canadians can find admirable.

Depends on what you mean by we.  The nation known the United States of America has done a lot of damage over the last 3.5 years.  Not sure there is anything in that period of time that a citizen of another country should feel compelled to honour.  Mourn perhaps.

So the entire country and all its people are entirely the actions of a government that did not even get a plurality vote in an election in 2016 and nothing more?

That seems ridiculously and absurdly reductionist. But hopefully BB can fly the US flag next year without your reproach.

So you jump from an observation that your country has done terrible things to a conclusion that must mean everyone in your country has done terrible things?  Your flag is the emblem of your country, not of you personally.    Is that not at all obvious?

The Larch

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2020, 06:09:24 PM
CC, you really do need to chill out.  BB isn't your enemy.  Dguller isn't your enemy.  I'm not your enemy.  Nobody here is your enemy.  Times are tense, everyone is a bit on edge, and nobody is happy about situation in the US.  Getting angry at us isn't going to help things.  All we can do at this point is sit tight and try not to get sick.

How does me wondering why BB wants to fly the flag of another country and observing how other Canadians might react, make him my enemy?

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 02:48:56 PM
The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.
QuoteSo you jump from an observation that your country has done terrible things to a conclusion that must mean everyone in your country has done terrible things?  Your flag is the emblem of your country, not of you personally.    Is that not at all obvious?

Then you should not have said "Americans" in the initial quote and instead have said "America" - you did not blame the country, but the people, so it seems obvious that there would be a reaction.  "Some Americans" would also do - you indicated all Americans in your first statement.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I WOULD stop buying from them again because who knows what else they have been doing to my food for the lulz.

PDH

Nazis made awful pizza, they just had to of.  A Nazi Little Caesar's Pizza is a black hole of awful.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2020, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 02:48:56 PM
The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.
QuoteSo you jump from an observation that your country has done terrible things to a conclusion that must mean everyone in your country has done terrible things?  Your flag is the emblem of your country, not of you personally.    Is that not at all obvious?

Then you should not have said "Americans" in the initial quote and instead have said "America" - you did not blame the country, but the people, so it seems obvious that there would be a reaction.  "Some Americans" would also do - you indicated all Americans in your first statement.

PDH, you are committing the sin of reification.  The country does nothing.  It is the people within the country that do things. 

If your analysis is correct, then Trump is blameless, it is all the fault of the country - whatever that means.

PDH

Where did I say Trump was blameless?  You said "Americans" in a statement that was a blanket statement "The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years."  I argued that saying "America" would have been an accurate or "some Americans" because as it is worded you implement the group "Americans" as a whole.  Hell, using "American Government" would have been accurate - you continue to paint with too broad of strokes.

Look I'm done with semantics. 

Over and out
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM