Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I feel like we need to debate what is meant by "a normal".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: ulmont on June 27, 2020, 09:36:53 PM
(current flag of Alabama and damn near the current flag of Florida too)

But both of those flags were based on the confederate battle flag.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2020, 05:16:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2020, 11:54:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2020, 11:19:20 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2020, 11:19:47 PM
But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.

It's a cool looking flag.

Then again the Third Reich's flag looks cool too.  Speaking as a guy who has a 16' flag pole in his front yard, doesn't mean I'm ever going to fly either flag.

I kind of want to get a US flag to put up on certain occasions (4th of July for example), but these days that might be seen as rather provocative. :(

Why would you want to display an American flag?

Maybe he wants to be neighborly?

Ok, no Americans will see it, unless they are lying at the border and say they are going to Alaska.  So what is the point? 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2020, 05:12:17 PM
Ok, no Americans will see it, unless they are lying at the border and say they are going to Alaska.  So what is the point? 

why not? :)
Maybe Valmy will raise a French flag on July 14th, yet not many French will see it ;)

It harms no one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2020, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 27, 2020, 09:36:53 PM
(current flag of Alabama and damn near the current flag of Florida too)

But both of those flags were based on the confederate battle flag.  :P

Alabama's was based on the 60th Alabama Infantry Regiment's flag, with a white saltire on blue (Scotland).  Florida's history is a bit more disputed.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

I have to wonder if my state will strip the slaveholder off of its flag.  :(

PRC

But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.

Then again the Third Reich's flag looks cool too.  Speaking as a guy who has a 16' flag pole in his front yard, doesn't mean I'm ever going to fly either flag.

I kind of want to get a US flag to put up on certain occasions (4th of July for example), but these days that might be seen as rather provocative. :(

Displaying it on July 4th, as he suggested, could be a neat homage to the best principles that America should stand for.  Beeb's personal gesture to honour Reagan's shining city on a hill. Myth or not, there is an America that should be.  And anyways why else have a flagpole in your front unless to personally honour important dates and events, Canadian or otherwise.  I'm sure he will fly a Union Jack at half mast if Elizabeth II decides to not become a lich. He probably flies a Blue Bombers flag when they win (very rare) and thats possibly worse than displaying a swastika.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

There has always been a nationalist strain in the black community wanting that. Being nationalists you should support them :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on June 28, 2020, 08:21:27 PM
Displaying it on July 4th, as he suggested, could be a neat homage to the best principles that America should stand for.  Beeb's personal gesture to honour Reagan's shining city on a hill. Myth or not, there is an America that should be.  And anyways why else have a flagpole in your front unless to personally honour important dates and events, Canadian or otherwise.  I'm sure he will fly a Union Jack at half mast if Elizabeth II decides to not become a lich. He probably flies a Blue Bombers flag when they win (very rare) and thats possibly worse than displaying a swastika.

USA is our closest neighbour and ally - what on earth would be wrong with choosing to honour that by flying their flag?

No Blue Bombers flag :Embarrass: but I do fly a Jets flag when they are in the playoffs.  I do want to point out though that if the CFL doesn't play this year, it just means the Bombers are still the reigning champs into 2021. :contract:

I have to correct you though - if the Queen passes on, it is the Canadian flag that flies at half mast, as she is the Queen of Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on June 28, 2020, 08:21:27 PM

But it is just as likely for a Trumpist to display the American flag rather than a gesture of lament that the myth is undone.  So a pretty confusing gesture for those who see it.

Bb may have given his own reason, but I have not seen it.