News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Goddamnit how did we get back on this statue bullshit again?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Statue of Washington spray painted with slave owner in Chicago.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Related to the statue thing right now:

crazy canuck

It is a bit sad that they think it is merely because some group finds the statue offensive.

But false equivalency has never once stopped them, so no reason to be surprised here either.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2020, 11:22:19 AM

This strikes me more about a failure of civics classes than anything else. The Police don't decide whether or not you broke the law, the courts do. If the police magically only ever bothered people who broke the law there would be no need for a trial.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:32:06 PM

This strikes me more about a failure of civics classes than anything else. The Police don't decide whether or not you broke the law, the courts do. If the police magically only ever bothered people who broke the law there would be no need for a trial.

How? You don't get a trial when you're dead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2020, 08:07:20 AM
Statue of Washington spray painted with slave owner in Chicago.

Fair but that statue is not being removed. This is gold to the right wing, it is far easier to get people on their side about statues than about the police killing people. I wish we were not providing them with this distraction, this is their favorite tactic to win these debates: to transfer it to something else. And lives are at stake.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:32:06 PM

You're making the wrong assumption. They think that if police bother you you must have broken the law, or at least something to draw attention. They don't consider that just being black can be enough to draw attention.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

You know I was curious if there actually are any statues of Bill Clinton.  He is a kind of polarizing figure even in his time.

So I turned on the Google machine.  Turns out there is a 11 foot high statue of Bill... in Pristina, Kosovo! :lol:  They even named the whole street after him.

The only other one I could find was a statue of Bill in downtown Rapid City, South Dakota, where they have a whole bunch of presidential statues as some kind of tourist attraction.

As for Obama, in addition to also having a statue in Rapid City, I found that he has a statue of him in Indonesia as a ten year old boy, and a statue of him and Michelle outside of a Circle K gas station in Tiperary, Ireland. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well if anybody should have a statue of Bill it would be Kosovo.

Is that where those statues they want to get rid of are? Rapid City, South Dakota?

I mean if these people will get on board with BLM if we get rid of a few statues I am on board. I am sure Bill and Barry would be to.