Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2020, 01:34:51 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2020, 01:18:39 PM
If you die because you can't get resources due to the Coronavirus, you have died because of the Coronavirus.
Yes and no.  Let's say you take a group of 1000 people with a certain kind of cancer, and randomly assign them to two oncologists.  The first oncologist has 5% of his patients die.  The second oncologist, unlike the first oncologist, gets overwhelmed with having to treat 500 patients on once, makes poor time management decisions, and has 10% of his patients die.  All 75 of the people who died died of cancer, and yet not all of these deaths were unavoidable.

Oh God, you're right!  I find myself in a realm between life and death!  These little red assholes are poking my ass with pitchforks but they are wearing face masks and they take breaks to watch Dr. Oz.  This is truly the worst of both worlds!
I know I'm right, but what am I right about? :unsure: I'm not seeing the connection between our posts yet.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2020, 02:59:12 PM

Both sides engage in that:

But, as the Tick put it, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2020, 06:02:45 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2020, 05:06:12 AM
Most bearded rednecks aren't preppers you know.

Many bearded rednecks who open carry ARs on state capitol steps have at least a little prepper in them.

Gotta be some overlap in that Venn diagram.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 24, 2020, 03:57:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2020, 06:02:45 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2020, 05:06:12 AM
Most bearded rednecks aren't preppers you know.

Many bearded rednecks who open carry ARs on state capitol steps have at least a little prepper in them.

Gotta be some overlap in that Venn diagram.

Of course. But it seems like the image is painting all the protesters with the same brush.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2020, 03:22:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2020, 01:34:51 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2020, 01:18:39 PM
If you die because you can't get resources due to the Coronavirus, you have died because of the Coronavirus.
Yes and no.  Let's say you take a group of 1000 people with a certain kind of cancer, and randomly assign them to two oncologists.  The first oncologist has 5% of his patients die.  The second oncologist, unlike the first oncologist, gets overwhelmed with having to treat 500 patients on once, makes poor time management decisions, and has 10% of his patients die.  All 75 of the people who died died of cancer, and yet not all of these deaths were unavoidable.

Oh God, you're right!  I find myself in a realm between life and death!  These little red assholes are poking my ass with pitchforks but they are wearing face masks and they take breaks to watch Dr. Oz.  This is truly the worst of both worlds!
I know I'm right, but what am I right about? :unsure: I'm not seeing the connection between our posts yet.

Yes and no about it killing me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote"So as a Respiratory Therapist....I watched the clip about the "disinfectant that Trump talking about". People need to listen closely....and before I say this, I will tell you that I am not registered to vote and I don't vote. I am neutral. He is basically brain storming for an idea to help the lungs. He stated that the disinfectant kills the virus in one minute, so he proposed the question can we inject disinfectant (not Lysol), he used the word "disinfectant" ...in the lungs, but that is for the doctors to figure out. Now a lay person like Trump will say disinfectant and a medical person would say "medicine". Medicine dumped into the lungs happens all the time! I personally have dumped respiratory medicine down an Endotracheal tube directly into the lungs. When babies are born prematurely, guess what? Yes we "inject" the lungs with a medicine called surfactant that helps keep the alveoli open to oxygenate the lungs. Antibiotics are sometimes injected into infected parts of lungs through a chest tube. So what I want the general public to know, is that we do "inject" medicine into peoples lungs, that yes act like a disinfectant (antibiotics), so why is everyone in uproar over this? If you are a lay person and don't understand what he said then ask a medical person. His statement was so twisted around and misinterpreted, and this is coming from a Respiratory Therapist that has injected medicine in peoples lungs. Lysol brand has perpetrated misinformation and panicked the general public who doesn't know anything about lungs. And Trump never used the word "Lysol". So why did Lysol brand think he was talking about them, that's narcissistic on their part. Why would Lysol brand embrace that? they look ignorant. So people, yes we do inject medicine into the lungs! This is why people need to know the facts and stop panicking people." -- Stacey Shultz-Goodlin‎

Quote"Food For Thought:

(And NO, this is not up for debate!)

As parts of our country are being opened up...

Those that are happy about it, are chastised for being selfish or even worse. This is by people who cower in fear at home, while expecting others to supply their way of living. If you are one of those people, aren't you being selfish???

You expect the stores to be open...so you can get your toilet paper, etc. You expect those shelves to be stocked, and the registers manned. You expect farmers, fruit and vegetable pickers, meat packers, factory workers, and truckers to all keep those stores supplied.

And then there are those of you who feel a little bit more superior...because you shop and order online, "To help stop the spread". Yet, you expect the delivery drivers to leave packages and takeout on your doorstep. All while you are lounging in you pj's in the comfort of your home, watching "Tiger King" on Netflix.

You expect your phone to work, your power to stay on, and your mail to show up rain, sleet, or shine. You expect your garbage to be picked up. And lordt help, if your cable, internet, or cell service were to go out. The world really would stop turning!

How do you think all of those things keep working??? Magic???

The whole premise of "shelter in place", is based on the arrogant idea that others must risk their health...so you can protect yours. There is nothing virtuous about ignoring the largely invisible army required to allow others to shelter in place. In fact, it is the height of arrogance that they are somehow expendable...while you are not. Well guess what, they are all tired...

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

Loosely translated: "Let them eat cake."

Think about it...

If you are sitting at home, you have now become part of the "royal ruling class". How long do you think it will be before the "peasants" have had enough, and rise up??? There are already protests in cities across the country...and more each day.

Many of these peasant workers deemed "essential", are making minimum wage or just slightly above it. All while those collecting unemployment, are getting the normal rate "plus" an additional $600 per week for the next four months! Talk about no incentive to even go back to work. Does that sound fair??? (And then there there are those that don't fall into this category, and are truly starving to death.) Essential workers are required to risk their lives for yours, or be fired. They didn't sign up for any of this...

Our economy can't withstand much more. And if our economy collapses, so goes the rest of the world. If that happens, you will see the rise of tyrants like you have only read about in history books. One look at Venezuela, should scare the hell out of you. And some of ya'll best start watching reruns of "The Waltons". Because that is where we are heading, if we continue down this path. Then you will truly understand the meaning of the words like depression, rationing, and sacrifice.

I truly believe that with some common sense on all of our parts...we could easily go back to life as it was, or close to it. Yes, you or I could catch COVID-19...and yes, even die. We could also have a stroke, heart attack, or get struck by lightning. We take risks everyday (or at least, we used to). That is what this great nation was built on, once upon a time.

"'Tis impossible to be sure of any thing but Death and Taxes" ~ The Cobler of Preston by Christopher Bullock (1716)

The "If it just saves one life" argument holds little water, either. Suicide rates are skyrocketing. As well as Domestic Violence and Child Abuse. There's nothing quite like being trapped inside 24/7, with the one person you fear the most...with no hope of escape.

And please don't start coming at me about how people like me, will just spread it. Because, it won't end well. Why are you so worried about what I am doing??? You won't get it...because remember, you're staying in your home "sheltering in place". Which is absolutely your choice and right, as a citizen of the United States of America. But unless you are living like the Amish, you are being rather hypocritical. Just don't expect the rest of us who choose to not live fear, to pay for you to continue to do so. That's not fair, either.

This is "supposed" to be a free country for all. I will gladly support your right to hide under your bed, for as long as you need...just do not expect me to economically support you. In return, I expect you to support me to be free to return to work, and to enjoy everything this great country has to offer...at no economic expense to you. WIN-WIN
Get one thing straight, I absolutely don't want people to die...from COVID or anything else. I want people to live. But sheltering in place, is not living..."

"I'd rather die while I'm living...than live while I'm dead." ~ Jimmy Buffett

https://youtu.be/gNTHuCOjAy8
QuoteDr. Dan Erickson of Bakersfield, CA just dropped multiple bombshells that completely eviscerate the official government narrative. Main points made by the doctor:

1.  The answer as to whether or not we need to continue to stay at home and keep businesses closed is an emphatic "NO".
2.  Covid-19 is in fact no more dangerous than seasonal flu.
3.  Quarantining is a health hazard in and of itself.
4.  ER doctors are being pressured to add Covid-19 to death reports.
5.  Not about science.  Not about Covid-19.  When they use the word "safe" - that's about controlling you.

Time to get back to work America.  A free people doesn't ask for permission to live.  Remember, you have an inalienable right to resume your life.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Thanks Syt, keep up the good work of reporting this stuff.

You're probably helping to save the sanity of one or two of us.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Because Syt is willing to mine facebook for this stuff, Like a hobbit trudging through Mordor, it may actually no longer be necessary to go on Zuckerbergs dismal platform at all. I can get my former in laws and assorted work colleagues viewpoints right here in one thread.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

Oh, it's not much effort. It's just visiting my sisters' pages. Two more so than the other.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maximus

Quote from: Syt on April 25, 2020, 11:33:18 AM
Quote"Food For Thought:

(And NO, this is not up for debate!)
Trumpism, in a nutshell.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

At least they admit that Trump needs professional help.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

The best way anybody can help the president and the country is to find Trump a different job.