Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Outrageous that the House failed to subpoena an overseas microscopic organic structure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Yes it is supposed to be Gates. The new bogeyman of the wackos. Both left and right.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Apparently the British wavkos these days are moaning about Bob Geldoff. Typical he only cares about foreign countries, where is live aid for the nhs stuff.
Fascinating how these pound shop hitlers claim to care about the nhs despite it being so contrary to their other beliefs.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

QuoteI'm not posting this for debate. I don't need any comments. Unfriend me if you must. Just please consider this...when you think the President is a jerk...

The bottom line has been that Trump IS a jerk. He's crude, he bloviates, he gets his feelings hurt and he's a hot head. And he should stay off Twitter, but this is the only way he can fight back against the FAKE NEWS

Let me tell you what else he is. He is a guy that demands performance. He is a guy that asks lots of questions. The questions he asks aren't cloaked in fancy phrases, they are "why the hell...." questions.

For decades the health industry has thrown away billions of face masks after one use. Trump asks, "Why the hell are we throwing them away? Why not sterilize them and use them numerous times?" He's the guy that gets hospital ships readied in one week, when it would have taken a bureaucrat weeks or months to get it done. He's the guy that gets temporary hospitals built in three days. He's the guy that gets industries to build ventilators and face masks in a business that's highly regulated by agencies that move like sloths.

He's the guy that asks why we aren't using drugs that might work on people that are dying; what the hell do we have to lose? In spite of all the naysayers. He's the guy that shut down travel from China, when the liberals and the media were screaming xenophobia and racist. Now they are asking why didn't he react sooner? He's the guy that ran on securing the border in the face of a screaming press and media. When he shut down borders in the midst of the coronavirus virus they were up in arms over such a draconian move. Then the rest of the world followed suit all over, including the European Union between member countries.

Has he made mistakes, yep. Everyone I know would have. All of these experts wouldn't have done any better. Trump is working harder than I've ever seen a President work. He isn't hiding in his office, he's out front every day.

Take for instance, all the shortages of PPE's and ventilators. I'm unaware of anything that prevented all of these governors from ordering all the PPE and ventilators for emergency purposes over the last two years. And yet, it is Trump's fault that they didn't.

He's balanced his approach and listened to the experts, when his distractors said he wouldn't and couldn't. When he offers hope, he's lying and when he's straight forward, he should be hopeful. It's a no win, but he is not deterred by all of that BS coming from the press and the liberals.

I'll take this kind of leadership over a nice guy that can make eloquent speeches.

He is my President and like it or not if you live in the USA and you here legally he is your President too.

Copy and paste if you agree.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Well it is good to hear them start making excuses for him. At least that means they notice his fuckups.

QuoteHe is my President and like it or not if you live in the USA and you here legally he is your President too.

I mean...sure. And?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2020, 02:59:44 PM
Well it is good to hear them start making excuses for him. At least that means they notice his fuckups.

No it is not good at all. It is far more corrosive.
It feeds into a narrative that people who aren't paying close attention to details - ie.most people - could find superficially plausible - the Trump is an asshole and acts inappropriately but he gets things done.

The reality is that he doesn't get things done and has severely degraded the ability of the federal government to get things done and function properly.  His incompetence and vandalization of national capabilities is a far worse sin than his severe personality deficits.

Every item mentioned in the post above is BS propaganda.  The reason why the industry doesn't sterilize N95 masks should be obvious.  Donald Trump didn't get  hospital beds ready - the people that did that work in departments he tried to cut. Trump waited 2 months blathering about hoaxes before he even said the word ventilator while states desperately tried to acquire them. His China travel ban was not a ban and incompetently carried out.  There is a lot to lose "trying out" drugs with potentially severe side effects on the idea they might work - on the same theory, cocaine might suppress COVID-19 (you never know?) so lets all start freebasing - can't hurt!

Washington state begged back in January to relax the regs on test so they could use the WHO tests (which worked) as opposed to the approved ones (which didn't exist and then didn't work) Trump did nothing.

It's a joke to say he listens to experts.  The only way to get him to listen is to package your advice so it is phrased as a WIN!!!! politically and lather it up with lots of obsequious praise.  Of course he never read the Navarro memo, it was written down with words.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

While casually surfing MSN.ca, I came accross some trivia "facts" on the Titanic.  One of the slides talked about how the Titanic was not really the Titanic, but the Olympic and it was sunk as an insurance scam and to kill people opposed to the idea of the Federal reserve (two decades before it was ever mentionned as a political project, some clairvoyance here ;) ), so I went to check the "source" and found myself redirected to Reddit /r/conspiracy.

And I spent about half an hour reading through this.  It felt like I was magically transported on the Facebook page of one of Syt's sister :P  Damn.  And everynow and then, some poor schmuck trying to make sense of these things, trying to instill reason in the conspiracies with some facts...  Some brave souls out there.

Anyway.  If you have nothing better to do during your confinement, check it out, it's the Twilight Zone out there.  And these people vote...  That's scary.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

https://www.theblaze.com/news/while-millions-are-jobless-amid-covid-19-millionaire-nancy-pelosi-shows-off-freezer-full-of-ice-cream-that-gets-her-through-these-trying-times?utm_content=buffer0640f&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=fb-theblaze&fbclid=IwAR3cFs1Z35XoYPoLlRwr0fnXkRRkE4fBR0zwyXGp93rgxqdpmuvlBlyirPQ

QuoteWhile millions are jobless amid COVID-19, millionaire Nancy Pelosi shows off freezer full of ice cream that gets her through 'these trying times'

While millions of Americans have lost their jobs in a matter of weeks amid widespread, forced business closures meant to flatten the coronavirus curve, wealthy Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi found the time to chat via video conferencing with TV host James Corden about — wait for it — her sweet tooth.

Aww, ain't she sweet?

The host of "The Late Late Show With James Corden" asked Pelosi to do a show and tell from her home, and the multimillionaire California politician was only too happy to share a view of her basket of chocolate:

But Corden really got excited after Pelosi — standing in front of very expensive-looking refrigerators — opened up her freezer drawer and showed that it was full of freshly stocked ice cream.

"I don't know what I would've done if ice cream were not invented," Pelosi remarked.

Here comes the gut-punch line

One might think she'd just leave the short chat alone at its conclusion, but the clip of her exchange with Corden showed up on Madame Speaker's Twitter account — along with the following incredulous caption: "We all have found our ways to keep our spirits up during these trying times. Mine just happens to fill up my freezer."

"Trying times"? Really?

Pelosi is in no danger of losing her job amid the coronavirus shutdown — at least not until after November's election. But even then, what would she have to worry about? PolitiFact noted that Pelosi's net worth shared with her business tycoon husband is no lower than $34 million and could be as high as $160 million.

How did others react?

Journalist Glenn Greenwald called Pelosi's video-op "tone deaf" and remarked that the "two huge refrigerators by themselves cost more than many people make in a year."

Fortunately, Republican politicians are models of decorum and modesty these days.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 15, 2020, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2020, 02:59:44 PM

No it is not good at all. It is far more corrosive.
It feeds into a narrative that people who aren't paying close attention to details - ie.most people - could find superficially plausible - the Trump is an asshole and acts inappropriately but he gets things done.

The reality is that he doesn't get things done and has severely degraded the ability of the federal government to get things done and function properly.  His incompetence and vandalization of national capabilities is a far worse sin than his severe personality deficits.

Every item mentioned in the post above is BS propaganda.  The reason why the industry doesn't sterilize N95 masks should be obvious.  Donald Trump didn't get  hospital beds ready - the people that did that work in departments he tried to cut. Trump waited 2 months blathering about hoaxes before he even said the word ventilator while states desperately tried to acquire them. His China travel ban was not a ban and incompetently carried out.  There is a lot to lose "trying out" drugs with potentially severe side effects on the idea they might work - on the same theory, cocaine might suppress COVID-19 (you never know?) so lets all start freebasing - can't hurt!

Washington state begged back in January to relax the regs on test so they could use the WHO tests (which worked) as opposed to the approved ones (which didn't exist and then didn't work) Trump did nothing.

It's a joke to say he listens to experts.  The only way to get him to listen is to package your advice so it is phrased as a WIN!!!! politically and lather it up with lots of obsequious praise.  Of course he never read the Navarro memo, it was written down with words.

Trump's approach reminds me of this Simpsons classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POB3Dr0uonc

(except without the happy end)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2020, 01:43:38 AM
https://www.theblaze.com/news/while-millions-are-jobless-amid-covid-19-millionaire-nancy-pelosi-shows-off-freezer-full-of-ice-cream-that-gets-her-through-these-trying-times?utm_content=buffer0640f&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=fb-theblaze&fbclid=IwAR3cFs1Z35XoYPoLlRwr0fnXkRRkE4fBR0zwyXGp93rgxqdpmuvlBlyirPQ

QuoteWhile millions are jobless amid COVID-19, millionaire Nancy Pelosi shows off freezer full of ice cream that gets her through 'these trying times'

Fortunately, Republican politicians are models of decorum and modesty these days.

I have noticed there are quite a number of media attempts at publicly shaming those rich people/celebrities who share their self-isolation experience.  "Tone-deaf" gets thrown around a lot.

But really...how is seeing the rich showing off how great their self-isolation life is any different then showing off how great their regular life is (which usually, the media/public love to lap up) at any other time?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son