News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2020, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
This is why accountants get a bad rap ;)
Accountants don't really use stats in their daily work. ;)

Mainly in internet discussion groups

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on March 06, 2020, 02:17:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2020, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
This is why accountants get a bad rap ;)
Accountants don't really use stats in their daily work. ;)

Certainly not Charisma.

Only good for one member at the squad, at best. Combined with Leadership, of course.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I think Bernie made his selling books.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

I like how the every part fails already in 2006.

Valmy

Maybe diseases are not all about US elections?

I don't think "contagion factor" is a real thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

If that really was posted at a doctor's office - and a I doubt it - somebody should have their license reviewed.

First the cure rate is zero.  There is no cure.  People recover which is not the same thing.  One would think a doctor would know that.

The R0 of SARS peaked at around 2.7 not 4.  That is also around where corona seems to be now, which also happens to be the high estimate for Spanish Flu epidemic of 1919.

I don't know what is meant by corona virus spread "leveling off"  - it is clearly spreading very fast.

The SARS outbreak happened in 2003, which was probably an election year somewhere, but not the US.  Maybe Hong Kong municipal elections?
I'm not sure why Avian flu is assigned to 2008 - there was a minor outbreak in 2005-06.  There are cases every years, 2008 was not unusually high.
The swine flu pandemic was 2009 not 2010
I think that's enough effort on this bizarre conspiracy theory.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

The narrative that diseases are being created because of elections is just bizarre. This is the only time we have had a disease of any significance in an election year and it is way too early to know if it will even impact anything.

I mean besides the fact that this thing originated in China with enormous political and economic impacts to its system, which seems like an awfully big sacrifice just to maybe influence a US election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

The only reason this outbreak has become embroiled in politics is because the President keeps going on TV saying painfully stupid and obviously false things about it and tweeting his usual inanities. If he could just act normal for once there wouldn't be a political narrative about it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

I think this epidemic is the latest proof that this global "alt-right" movement or rather the resurgence of the radical right is in fact a surge of nihilists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2020, 09:18:29 AM
The only reason this outbreak has become embroiled in politics is because the President keeps going on TV saying painfully stupid and obviously false things about it and tweeting his usual inanities. If he could just act normal for once there wouldn't be a political narrative about it.

I disagree.  I think it was already being politicized before he started spouting off.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 09:28:25 AM

I disagree.  I think it was already being politicized before he started spouting off.

Well I guess locking everybody in Wuhan in their homes was pretty political.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 09:28:25 AM

That would have been quite impossible seeing how he pounced on it.

Come on mate.