And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 09:49:38 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 05, 2020, 08:29:52 AM
How many Americans have been murdered by illegal immigrants vs. legal ones?  :hmm:

Sum those totals and compare to the number killed by people born in the US.

To be fair a wall can work both ways.

DGuller

How many Americans have been murdered by illegal immigrants vs. legal ones?  :hmm:

And then ask yourself why you're comparing the numbers without normalizing for population of these three groups.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

And then ask yourself why you're comparing the numbers without normalizing for population of these three groups.

And then I would say to myself, where the hell did that stupid idea come from.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 11:42:48 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

And then I would say to myself, where the hell did that stupid idea come from.
And then I would answer that it came from the desire to not be dishonest and misleading with statistics.

Eddie Teach

If the voices in your head are arguing, you might have a problem.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 05, 2020, 12:23:46 PM
If the voices in your head are arguing, you might have a problem.
I'm much more concerned that one of the voices in my head sounds exactly like CC.  I sure hope that's the one inner voice of mine that never takes charge of my outer voice.

crazy canuck

Tell me why one would want to do a lot of work to get a statistically correct analysis when all we are talking about is that the facebook post is stupid.

This is why accountants get a bad rap ;)

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
Tell me why one would want to do a lot of work to get a statistically correct analysis when all we are talking about is that the facebook post is stupid.

Because you never want to make an argument with numbers that's dishonest on the face of it.  Even when the point is trivial.  Even when the point you're trying to prove is morally right.  Even when the point you're trying to prove is factually correct anyway.

If you think the point is too trivial to spend time doing the bare minimum of intellectually honest comparison, then just don't do it at all.  There will be plenty of other people using bad math to prove the morally correct points, save your reputation for something more important.

crazy canuck

Dude this is a casual thread talking about Syt's crazy family.

grumbler

I think CC is just showing that he's "seen cases where anecdotal evidence explains the outcomes better than facts,"  as someone else was arguing here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2020, 01:47:30 PM
I think CC is just showing that he's "seen cases where anecdotal evidence explains the outcomes better than facts,"  as someone else was arguing here.
That might've been a metajoke rather than a serious argument.  Just putting that possibility out there.

viper37

Accountants don't really use stats in their daily work. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2020, 08:22:50 PM
Accountants don't really use stats in their daily work. ;)

Certainly not Charisma.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.