News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2020, 02:49:32 PM
Wtf? No blacks killed by cops for a long time?

No is a very low number.  What I mean is no shooting that fits the BLM framework has crossed my radar.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 02:52:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2020, 02:49:32 PM
Wtf? No blacks killed by cops for a long time?

No is a very low number.  What I mean is no shooting that fits the BLM framework has crossed my radar.
I submit that that may be an issue with the radar.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:51:35 PM
Elaborate, please

Edit: no I'm not fucking with you.

It just doesn't seem like you are actually responding to what I am saying in my posts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:53:49 PM

My radar, the media's radar.  How's your radar?

Razgovory

I'm reminded of the debate between Malcolm X and James Farmer.  Malcolm X was talking about the various grievances that blacks had suffered and Farmer responded "We know the disease, physician, what is your cure?"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:26:32 PM
What is "black lives matter" if not a slogan?

It is a very effective one. I mean the first step is always drawing attention to the problem but it is only the first step.

And eventually people will stop listening, as Yi said the problem has kind of disappeared from the media lately.

I think the reason has more to do with Trump taking up all the space in which important matters used to be discussed and brought to the attention of the public.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 02:55:08 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:53:49 PM

My radar, the media's radar.  How's your radar?
I'm not the one making demands.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:51:35 PM
Elaborate, please

Edit: no I'm not fucking with you.

It just doesn't seem like you are actually responding to what I am saying in my posts.
You're right. I don't really have the proper words for requiring catchy slogans for objecting to bring killed. I know you mean well, but christ.

I'm out for today.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

QuoteIn 2015, police shot and killed 94 unarmed individuals, a number that fell to 51 in 2016 before rising to 68 in 2017. This year, police have shot and killed 18 unarmed people, eight fewer than at the same time last year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/fatal-police-shootings-of-unarmed-people-have-significantly-declined-experts-say/2018/05/03/d5eab374-4349-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html

It's a WashPost article, so don't burn your freebies if you don't want to.

Article from May 2018.

The Minsky Moment

According to the Washington Post database on police shootings, updated as of 1-22-2020, Black fatalities from police shootings were 223 in 2017, 228 in 2018, and 225 in 2019.  Total fatal shootings were roughly the same each year.  Based on that data there seems to be no change in outcomes over the last 3 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2020, 03:42:29 PM
According to the Washington Post database on police shootings, updated as of 1-22-2020, Black fatalities from police shootings were 223 in 2017, 228 in 2018, and 225 in 2019.  Total fatal shootings were roughly the same each year.  Based on that data there seems to be no change in outcomes over the last 3 years.

Trumpster's response, 'out of sight, out of mind'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2020, 03:42:29 PM

I saw that as well.  Unfortunately the Post database doesn't break down justified and unjustified killings.  Imagine the poor research assistant that has to make that call.

If BLM wants no more blacks killed in liquor store shootouts or armed carjackings I'm going to have to part ways.  If they want to stop cops from shooting at unarmed autistic black guys sitting on the pavement with their hands in the air I'm totally with them.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 04:41:19 PMIf BLM wants no more blacks killed in liquor store shootouts or armed carjackings I'm going to have to part ways.

Why?

Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 03, 2020, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 04:41:19 PMIf BLM wants no more blacks killed in liquor store shootouts or armed carjackings I'm going to have to part ways.

Why?

Perhaps money and cars are more valuable in his view?  Hard to explain why wanting no more people killed is controversial.