News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:29:28 PM
Because I don't see why one has to "think of the endgame" in order to point out a problem. In particular, for a problem like this where lack of awareness or interest is a major contributing factor, raising the profile is often the best thing a non-expert celebrity can do.

If, in fact, no expert is working on the problem then it may be time for non-experts to step in, but I don't think that is the case here.

Donald Trump got elected president, and he was a non expert celebrity, and also an incompetent moron.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maximus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2020, 01:58:20 PM
Because I don't see why one has to "think of the endgame" in order to point out a problem. In particular, for a problem like this where lack of awareness or interest is a major contributing factor, raising the profile is often the best thing a non-expert celebrity can do.

If, in fact, no expert is working on the problem then it may be time for non-experts to step in, but I don't think that is the case here.

Donald Trump got elected president, and he was a non expert celebrity, and also an incompetent moron.
Exactly. How much better would it have been if he had stuck to tweeting.

Admiral Yi

Here's the thing, I don't know what problem they're pointing out any more.  Back when there was a string of about 10 shootings of blacks by cops I knew exactly what the problem was.  But how long has it been now since one made the new cycle? 

And though I agree that a group does not need a glossy power point presentation with footnotes and appendices to justify their protest, they do need communication of what it is that is making them unhappy, and conversely, what would make them happy.  MLK: we can vote, run for office, not get lynched, we're happy.  Gays: we can marry, serve in the military, we're happy.  What would make BLM happy?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 02:17:36 PM
And though I agree that a group does not need a glossy power point presentation with footnotes and appendices to justify their protest, they do need communication of what it is that is making them unhappy, and conversely, what would make them happy.  MLK: we can vote, run for office, not get lynched, we're happy.  Gays: we can marry, serve in the military, we're happy.  What would make BLM happy?

Yeah you at least need a slogan or something about what you want. Something people can get behind, not necessarily a wonkish list of policy proposals.

Again they can go ahead and keep standing up (or sitting down, or kneeling, or whatever) for the injustice in our society, and more power to them. I just think they need a bit more to get more traction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Here's the thing, I don't know what problem they're pointing out any more.  Back when there was a string of about 10 shootings of blacks by cops I knew exactly what the problem was.  But how long has it been now since one made the new cycle? 

Ah, I think I see the issue. The news media stops focusing on the problem and we assume it has solved itself.

And then some people keep talking about the same issue and we think they're talking about something new.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 02:20:46 PM

Yeah you at least need a slogan or something about what you want. Something people can get behind, not necessarily a wonkish list of policy proposals.
What is "black lives matter" if not a slogan?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:25:00 PM
Ah, I think I see the issue. The news media stops focusing on the problem and we assume it has solved itself.

And then some people keep talking about the same issue and we think they're talking about something new.

"Stops focusing on the problem" is a nice euphemism.  I was talking about discrete, concrete cases of actual humans being killed.  Either that has continued, abated, increased, or stopped.  Either that was and still is "the problem" or something else was and still is the problem.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:26:32 PM

It is a very effective one. I mean the first step is always drawing attention to the problem but it is only the first step.

And eventually people will stop listening, as Yi said the problem has kind of disappeared from the media lately.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 02:35:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:25:00 PM

"Stops focusing on the problem" is a nice euphemism.  I was talking about discrete, concrete cases of actual humans being killed.  Either that has continued, abated, increased, or stopped.  Either that was and still is "the problem" or something else was and still is the problem.
Have you reason to believe that's not still the problem?

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:26:32 PM

It is a very effective one. I mean the first step is always drawing attention to the problem but it is only the first step.

And eventually people will stop listening, as Yi said the problem has kind of disappeared from the media lately.
I guess "I can't breathe" and "don't shoot" aren't catchy enough.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:40:53 PM

I already answered this.  No black cop killings for a good long time.

Do you have reason to believe this is still the problem?  Do you, for example, have reason to believe that blacks continue to be gunned down and the media is not reporting it because of indifference?

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:44:04 PM

Are you fucking with me now? Because this is kind of a bullshit response.

garbon

Wtf? No blacks killed by cops for a long time?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 02:45:06 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:40:53 PM

I already answered this.  No black cop killings for a good long time.
You have evidence for this belief?
Do you have reason to believe this is still the problem?  Do you, for example, have reason to believe that blacks continue to be gunned down and the media is not reporting it because of indifference?
You mean besides the fact that it's been happening for decades and I've heard nothing to indicate that it has changed?

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 02:44:04 PM

Are you fucking with me now? Because this is kind of a bullshit response.
Elaborate, please

Edit: no I'm not fucking with you.