News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Racist conservatives don't forgive anything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

#BlackLivesMatter folks need to start thinking about end game.

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 01:11:12 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:09:27 PM
Why?

To demonstrate a connection between their actions and policy.
Is no one advocating policy that would address the problem?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:15:01 PM
Is no one advocating policy that would address the problem?

I would guess there is at least one person out of the billions on earth who is.  Why do you ask?

Valmy

I think Maximus is telling you to caucus for Andrew Yang -_-

:P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Because I don't see why one has to "think of the endgame" in order to point out a problem. In particular, for a problem like this where lack of awareness or interest is a major contributing factor, raising the profile is often the best thing a non-expert celebrity can do.

If, in fact, no expert is working on the problem then it may be time for non-experts to step in, but I don't think that is the case here.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:29:28 PM
Because I don't see why one has to "think of the endgame" in order to point out a problem. In particular, for a problem like this where lack of awareness or interest is a major contributing factor, raising the profile is often the best thing a non-expert celebrity can do.

If, in fact, no expert is working on the problem then it may be time for non-experts to step in, but I don't think that is the case here.

The reason is because just protesting forever without any specific demands is eventually just going to desensitize people and not be effective. Nobody outside of the super patriots cared about Jay Z not standing for the anthem (presuming that was actually what happened, it was not like he is kneeling dramatically there. It could be he just did not feel like standing or was distracted and whole thing was not a protest at all. Just a fake news type deal.), and frankly I think they are being just a little performative and disingenuous about it. This was used to attack Obama more than anything else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:33:35 PM
[link=topic=13582.msg1219076#msg1219076 date=1580754
The reason is because just protesting forever without any specific demands is eventually just going to desensitize people and not be effective. Nobody outside of the super patriots cared about Jay Z not standing for the anthem (presuming that was actually what happened, it was not like he is kneeling dramatically there. It could be he just did not feel like standing or was distracted and whole thing was not a protest at all. Just a fake news type deal.), and frankly I think they are being just a little performative and disingenuous about it. This was used to attack Obama more than anything else.
On the other hand, having to put out a manifesto every time you protest is exhausting and has a stifling effect.

Not sure what you mean about Obama.

DGuller

Bringing a solution along with a problem is a bonus, but shouldn't be a requirement.  Coming up with a solution may not require the same skillset and context that it took to identify the problem, so requiring people to have both is not a smart strategy.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:41:05 PM
On the other hand, having to put out a manifesto every time you protest is exhausting and has a stifling effect.

Well I couldn't disagree more. I think it has an energizing effect, let's people know what you are fighting for. Vagueness is what has a stifling effect.

QuoteNot sure what you mean about Obama.

The thing that Syt posted used Jay Z sitting to attack Michelle Obama.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2020, 01:44:12 PM
Bringing a solution along with a problem is a bonus, but shouldn't be a requirement.  Coming up with a solution may not require the same skillset and context that it took to identify the problem, so requiring people to have both is not a smart strategy.

Ok but the problem was identified decades ago. Surely somebody with the skillset exists?

But anyway I have no problem with them protesting and I get it, it is something worth protesting. I just think that Yi might not be incorrect that a pivot to a policy based protest might be a good idea.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 03, 2020, 01:41:05 PM

Well I couldn't disagree more. I think it has an energizing effect, let's people know what you are fighting for. Vagueness is what has a stifling effect.

I think if there's anyone who doesn't know what BLM is fighting for, that's intentional.
QuoteNot sure what you mean about Obama.

The thing that Syt posted used Jay Z sitting to attack Michelle Obama.
Ah, ok. Thought you meant BLM was attacking the Obamas. It's pretty much a given anyone attacking BLM for existing is being disingenuous.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2020, 01:44:12 PM

Ok but the problem was identified decades ago. Surely somebody with the skillset exists?
We don't lack solutions. We lack the will to enact them.