Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I firmly believe that it's an addiction.  Memes like this, or just outlandish propaganda in general, gives them the high that they are now conditioned to crave.  Addictions bypass rational thinking, so there is really no use arguing.  I wish I had an idea what is of any use.  :(

Oexmelin

Actual conversation with living human beings tends to help. Unless your only goal is to score points. Then, you might as well post memes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 02, 2020, 08:11:22 PM
Actual conversation with living human beings tends to help. Unless your only goal is to score points. Then, you might as well post memes.
I don't think it does help.  The conversations stops early on in order to ensure that all living human beings remain in that state.

Oexmelin

I agree it does happen often. Usually because people want to assert, or seek validation, more than they want to discuss. Establishing the conditions of a genuine conversation is hard, and that is usually not the type of thing you can do (or want to do) at the Thanksgiving dinner, or during the cab ride. One of the difficulties right now is that political assertion is so intimately intertwined with identity, that any form of contradiction is seen as a challenge to one's very core. (Another is that internet "debating" culture, which has now spilled IRL, is aimed at scoring cheap points).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Quote"I have zero opinion on the entertainment quality of the half time show last night because I was busy slinging beers to customers and didn't see much of it. With that said, the next person that complains about objectifying/sexually exploiting women? Remember this still shot. Women do this to themselves.

These two women could be role models for young ladies but, they chose to send a different message."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Man is there any issue obscure enough that your family doesn't have a hot take for?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2020, 11:02:39 AM
What did Jay Z do wrong? :unsure:

I don't know man. I am barely familiar with his music.

Tamas

Notice how Beyonce is "not much better". I guess that translates to her having a slightly brighter skin colour? :P

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 03, 2020, 11:15:43 AM

Notice how Beyonce is "not much better". I guess that translates to her having a slightly brighter skin colour? :P

Hi. I'm Al Bedo. Find out how I can work for you too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Nothing.
But this JayZee character is bad news for some reason.  Trademark poacher if I had to guess.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?