News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 23, 2020, 02:02:14 PM
No, but the governor could still be said to be in charge there.

Sure. But you could say the same for Utica and it isn't overpriced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2020, 01:27:21 PM

Had a long uber ride the day after this happened and the radio shows wouldn't shut up about it.  It was also covered in all the NY papers and the Wash Post. Quite a lot of coverage for a borough official.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

They talked about it, but did they say anything?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 01:38:26 PM
"Brooklyn leader"? Is that an office?

yes each borough has their own executive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 23, 2020, 03:11:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 01:38:26 PM
"Brooklyn leader"? Is that an office?

yes each borough has their own executive.

Ok so this guy is the mayor of Brooklyn? He said he wants all white people out? Context? Did he make a list about how many white grandparents you need to be officially classified as white?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Are the Irish considered white in this context?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 23, 2020, 03:05:11 PM
Had a long uber ride the day after this happened and the radio shows wouldn't shut up about it.  It was also covered in all the NY papers and the Wash Post. Quite a lot of coverage for a borough official.

Well, that's liberal media, no wonder my sister/that website haven't heard about it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2020, 01:27:21 PM

Predictably enough, a distortion: this person made an inflammatory speech about gentrification, which was widely reported in the press. He did not say that Whites should move out, he said that gentrifying people moving in to NY from places like Iowa and Ohio should go back where the came from, which sounded very much like race-bating (as these states are majority White).   

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/brooklyn-prez-adams-panned-for-telling-new-nyc-arrivals-go-back-to-iowa/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Well that is like Texans or Arizonans grumbling people moving to our states should move back to California...granted elected officials don't normally say that :lol:

So unsurprisingly that post by Syt's family is full of shit.

The Minsky Moment

Correct the statement was about gentrification and while there is a racial component to that issue, it's interesting that "lawenforcement(Not Russia)today.com" should phrase it as telling "white people" to go back as opposed to new arrivals.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 03:44:33 PM
Well that is like Texans or Arizonans grumbling people moving to our states should move back to California...granted elected officials don't normally say that :lol:

So unsurprisingly that post by Syt's family is full of shit.

Hey, my two eldest sisters recently moved from Florida to Missouri and Arizona! :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Any way you want to cut it, it's still a douchebag thing to say.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2020, 04:14:33 PM

Definitely. Very crass.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2020, 04:14:33 PM

Absolutely.

He was widely slammed in the media for being a douchebag, for saying that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius