News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2020, 12:35:25 PM
Wow that green image and that pumpkin really make you think about what is being said.

pumpkin represents trump, right? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2020, 12:56:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2020, 12:35:25 PM
Wow that green image and that pumpkin really make you think about what is being said.

pumpkin represents trump, right? :unsure:

If so it would have worked better with the first one :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The Cuomo meme is definitely nonsense.

About one quarter of the work force in New York State is foreign born.  State and local taxes contributions from immigrants were about $16 billion (in 2014) - i.e. about 10 times higher the number in the meme.  None of which would be surprising to anyone who has spent any significant time in the state.

If immigrants were removed from the state overnight, the state economy would collapse.  It's asinine to suggest otherwise.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 17, 2020, 01:17:29 PM

About one quarter of the work force in New York State is foreign born.  State and local taxes contributions from immigrants were about $16 billion (in 2014) - i.e. about 10 times higher the number in the meme.  None of which would be surprising to anyone who has spent any significant time in the state.

If immigrants were removed from the state overnight, the state economy would collapse.  It's asinine to suggest otherwise.

Yeah well, most memes are totally fabricated lies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2020, 01:19:45 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 17, 2020, 01:17:29 PM

Yeah well, most memes are totally fabricated lies.

*surprised pikachu face*
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2020, 03:41:18 PM
Yes.

And... :unsure: they are immigrants to the United States, right?  :unsure:

I guess this is a new one on me.  I've never seen the "Immigrants are leeches on our social services," argument from an immigrant before.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

You see there's the good, legal immigrants, and the bad, illegal immigrants. And of course the non-Christian immigrants, non-White immigrants, etc. which don't contribute to society. Also, the boat is full now and all that.

It's not unusual. Austrian FPÖ was very popular among the Serb immigrant community because of their anti-Muslim immigration stance.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2020, 04:20:44 PM
You see there's the good, legal immigrants, and the bad, illegal immigrants. And of course the non-Christian immigrants, non-White immigrants, etc. which don't contribute to society. Also, the boat is full now and all that.

It's not unusual. Austrian FPÖ was very popular among the Serb immigrant community because of their anti-Muslim immigration stance.

Okay, I have met immigrants who still had the prejudices of their old country (Serbs who hate Croats, Guatemalans who hate Mexicans and the like); or legal immigrants who resent the "Line jumping" ilegales.  Furthermore Trump did win something like 30% of the Hispanic vote (and he's been holding Hispanic Evangelical Rallies here of late <_<).  Just the blanket term "Immigrant" in the meme threw me for a loop.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 17, 2020, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2020, 04:20:44 PM

Okay, I have met immigrants who still had the prejudices of their old country (Serbs who hate Croats, Guatemalans who hate Mexicans and the like); or legal immigrants who resent the "Line jumping" ilegales.  Furthermore Trump did win something like 30% of the Hispanic vote (and he's been holding Hispanic Evangelical Rallies here of late <_<).  Just the blanket term "Immigrant" in the meme threw me for a loop.

I mean, from all indications they *are* demonstrating that immigrants are terrible ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on January 17, 2020, 04:17:54 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2020, 03:41:18 PM
Yes.

And... :unsure: they are immigrants to the United States, right?  :unsure:

I guess this is a new one on me.  I've never seen the "Immigrants are leeches on our social services," argument from an immigrant before.

It's pretty common in the UK.
I recall around the brexit vote some interviews on TV with polish people even saying they supported it. They were already here afterall. Best pull up the draw bridge :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps