Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 23, 2019, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 22, 2019, 05:10:05 PM
The military worship of the right United States never ceases to disturb me.
Fixed that.

I am just glad there is some national institution we all agree is ok.

Besides I am grateful for every person who volunteers for service. If they didn't well...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/usmc-major-slams-virginia-lawmakers-your-same-mindset-is-what-150-years-ago-led-this-country-into-a-civil-war/

QuoteUSMC major slams VA lawmakers: "Your mindset is what 150 years ago led this country into a civil war."

We have widely reported on Virginia's run on the constitutional right of gun owners in that state. The Democrats in the Virginia House are poised to impose controversial, and likely unconstitutional gun laws in that state, including a program to register firearms.

As we have reported, gun registration has historically been the first step in confiscation by extremis regimes worldwide.

At a Dec. 3 meeting of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, U.S. Marine Corps Reservist Maj. Ben Joseph Woods addressed the board and admonished Commonwealth of Virginia lawmakers for their plans to pass sweeping gun laws after they gain the majority next week.

In an unprecedented threat against the Second Amendment, the governor of Virginia, Ralph Northam, has even suggested that he will bring in the National Guard to enforce the gun laws.

This threat probably did not have the effect Northam wanted, which was probably for pro-gun forces to back down. Instead, over 79% of counties in Virginia had declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuary counties as of Dec. 18, 2019.

As Maj. Woods addressed the meeting, he spoke of his time in the military and federal law enforcement and what he feared politicians were doing to the state:

"I'm not going to address the bills themselves. What I would like to address is the fact that at this point, so many people believe that these are unconstitutional or draconian that as of last night, 30 counties in this state which have voted themselves...to be Second Amendment sanctuary counties.

The ugly truth of our situation is that is just scratching the surface of what is happening...I work plainclothes law enforcement...I walk around without a uniform, people don't see my badge, people don't see my gun, and I can tell you: People are angry.

And I am frightened to the point that I am looking at moving my wife and child...out of this state if these bills pass. The reason is because my fellow law enforcement officers...

Tell me that they would not enforce these bills regardless of whether they believe in them ideologically because they believe that there are so many people angry in gun shops, gun shows, at bars, we have heard it now, people talking about tar and feathering politicians in a less than joking manner...

That is a terrifying prospect and I have never seen people willing to speak about something like that publicly...As a law enforcement officer, I empathize with concerns people have over gun violence."

When asked to sum up, Maj. Woods concluded with this warning:

"The legal precedent we would set by allowing the legislature to selectively ignore enumerated rights at will is the same mindset that 150 years ago let this country into a civil war."

Last week, we wrote about the new gun laws proposed by the liberal politicians in Virginia, the push for Second Amendment sanctuaries, and a warning from George Mason economics professor Dr. Walter Williams.

Recently, several counties and other municipal entities in Virginia have enacted so-called "Second Amendment Sanctuary" ordinances or laws, which has appeared to back Northam off a bit from an outright ban, at least on its face. However, in all things done by liberals, when you are looking at the left hand, watch out for what the right hand is doing.

Breitbart News, on December 10 suggested that Northam had pivoted from an outright ban on assault weapons to instead suggesting that a ban would only come about when an owner refused to register the firearm with the Commonwealth of Virginia.

According to the Virginia Mercury, Northam spokesperson Alena Yarmosky suggested that Northam's assault weapon ban "will include a grandfather clause for individuals who already own assault weapons, with the requirement they register their weapons before the end of a designated grace period."

People who comply with the registration will be allowed to keep the weapons, at least for now.

On Dec. 27, Dr. Walter E. Williams, George Mason University economics professor, in an op-ed on Fox News warned Virginia residents about Northam's gun registry plan. In the editorial, he warned Virginians "not to fall for the registration trick. Knowing who owns what weapons is the first step to confiscation."

Williams continued:

Virginians must heed the words and capture the spirit of their two most distinguished citizens, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, who wrote the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. These resolutions referred to the federal government but are just as applicable to state governments in principle.

They said: "Resolved, That the several States composing the United States of America are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their General Government...and whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated posers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force."

James Madison, in Federalist Paper No. 46 wrote that the Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
Too many Americans believe the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to own firearms only to go hunting and for self-protection. The framers of our Constitution had no such intent in mind.

Williams continues that these laws, which make politicians and liberals feel good, but which are largely ineffective, will have zero impact on criminals in Virginia, but rather a significant impact on law-abiding citizens of the state, most of whom own semi-automatic weapons for hunting or self-protection. As Williams said quoting a friend of his:

"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."
As of this writing, 86 of 95, or 91% of Virginia's counties have declared themselves Second Amendment Sanctuaries in which future gun controls passed by Northam and his Democrat colleagues will not be enforced.

One can imagine that this may not end well. On Dec 12, Breitbart noted that Northam vowed "consequences" for any counties that refuse gun control. Both sides of the issue appear to be digging in.

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said that Second Amendment Sanctuary resolutions cannot overturn state laws. In a letter, Herring said:

"It is my opinion that these resolutions have no legal effect. It is my further opinion that localities and local constitutional officers cannot nullify state laws and must comply with gun violence prevention measures that the General Assembly may enact."
Funny, these liberal politicians do not seem to have an issue with government entities declaring themselves "immigration sanctuaries" where they refuse to comply with immigration laws.

Can you say hypocrites? At least the sanctuaries being implemented in Virginia have the backing of the United States Constitution.

In Culpeper County, Sheriff Scot Jenkins vowed during a board of supervisors meeting that he would "properly screen and deputize thousands of our law-abiding citizens to protect their constitutional right to own firearms" in response to the board's unanimous declaration of the county as a Second Amendment constitutional county.

Here is a little history lesson for you all about gun confiscation. You will probably see a common thread.

On December 10, 1918, in the Soviet Union, the Council of People's Commisar mandated that Soviet citizens turn in their firearms. Failure to do so led to criminal prosecution. After the end of World War II, the countries of Bulgaria, East Germany and Hungary all confiscated guns or banned private ownership of guns.

In Germany, the Weimar government, which was in power prior to Adolf Hitler's regime, were responsible for gun registration. The intent at the time was for public order, to keep the peace between Nazis and Communists. This set the framework for Hitler and the Nazis to disarm the Jews because they knew who had guns, and well, the rest is history...and not very good history.

Prior to Fidel Castro coming into power, the previous regime had implemented firearms registration. When Castro came into power, the legwork had already been done. Castro schmoozed the people of Cuba in a speech, saying:

"Guns for what? To fight against whom? Against the Revolutionary government that has the support of the people?"
Well played, Fidel.

Following that speech, gun confiscation commenced in Cuba, slowly at first. Initially they targeted rival revolutionary groups, then expanded the definition to disarm more of the population.

Cuba currently leaves firearm regulations in the hands of the National Revolutionary Police, the Ministry of the Interior, and the Ministry of the Revolutionary Armed Forces. As President Trump stated, Cuba is now a third world sh*thole, thanks in no small part to Castro and his disarming the populace.

In 2012, Venezuela banned the sale of firearms and ammunition, under the premise of fighting crime. Only the army, police and security companies can buy arms from state-owned weapons manufacturers.

Despite that, crime rates continue to skyrocket, and Venezuelan citizens have no means to defend themselves. Currently, the Venezuelan Armed Forces oversee firearms regulation, with the power to register, control and confiscate firearms.

Recently, on June 7, 2018, the Constitutional Court of South Africa ordered 300,000 firearms to be confiscated. The beginning of this program can be traced back to the Firearms Control Act of 2000, which included gun registration. First came registration, then confiscation.

Could something like this happen in the United States? One would think that since we have a Bill of Rights in place within our Constitution, and the Second Amendment guarantees citizens of the United States the right to keep and bear arms, probably not.

The natural first step for a government to seize weapons is to know WHO has them. That only makes sense. When you have laws such as the ones proposed in Virginia and other states, one could make the argument that it is a logical first step toward total confiscation.

A disarmed populace is not match for a repressive apparatus that has a monopoly on weapons. The framers of our Constitution were smart to recognize this in coming up with the Second Amendment.

Anti-gun zealots tell us that they know best what is good for us. They make the lame and hollow argument that when the framers constructed the Constitution, there was "no such thing as assault weapons like the AR-15 and AK-47" and that the amendment only covered muskets.

The abject stupidity of such statements is so absurd that they do not deserve comment. One could make the same claim about the First Amendment if you take arguments such as this to their illogical conclusion.

"The framers wrote the First Amendment when people wrote on sheepskin with quill pens. They never anticipated the Internet."
Stupid, right?

Liberals think that they know better than us what is good for us. Disagreement is not allowed, and if you don't buy into their feel good, politically correct bull crap, you are an alt-right extremist.

There is no room for debate. Free speech and other rights only apply to them, not to people with whom they disagree.

We have said it before, and we will say it again. Keep an eye on Virginia. The last Civil War ended in Virginia...the next one may start there.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I don't know. It is hard to keep track of all the strawmen and conspiracy theories as they go by.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

I figured it was about Obama being a Muslim.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2020, 12:37:00 PM
I figured it was about Obama being a Muslim.

I don't think that it is mentally healthy to try to figure out all the dog whistles on the loony right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

QuoteVickie Paladino for NYCLike Page
22 hrs ·
For those people who want to apologize to Iran for the killing of Qassem Soleimani, I present you with Army Captain Brian S. Freeman.

Brian was a loving husband, father, Olympic caliber athlete and Army Civil Affairs team leader who actually cared about people regardless of who they were, where they came from, what God they worshipped, or their politics.

13 years ago this month, Cpt. Brian Freeman and his team of Civil Affairs soldiers were in Karbala, Iraq at a meeting to help improve the lives of the people of that province.

During that meeting, a team under the command of Gen. Qassem Soleimani, stormed in, killing a number of American's, and capturing Brian and several members of his team.

The captured CA team members were handcuffed, driven away from the meeting and later executed. Once found, in spite of our best efforts, several medics, including myself, unsuccessfully attempted to save Brian.

Captain Freeman is but one of the lives lost due to the evil of Qassem Soleimani. Qassem Soleimani was an evil person whose end, regardless of the politics surrounding it is a good thing.

With that, anyone apologizing to Iran for Soleimani's death is, I feel, pandering to an oppressive regime out of either ignorance, moral bankruptcy, or in a heartless attempt at self-promotion.

Rest in Peace Brian.

(If you feel the same, please share this post.)

https://www.iraqwarheroes.org/freemanbs.htm

QuoteChad Prather
51 mins
The American left will kill a million unborn babies every year but cry over a dead terrorist.

The grace of God is gone from this country. Good luck because luck is all we are left with.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

It is your imaginary scenario, don't blame the rest of us if it confuses you.

Josquius

Iran attacked an embassy?
Are they referring to the famous thing decades ago here or did something happen recently that has passed me by?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2020, 05:03:39 PM
Iran attacked an embassy?
Are they referring to the famous thing decades ago here or did something happen recently that has passed me by?

B

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould