News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah as I said the overwhelming majority of people who actually wants to wage a war on Christmas are conservative religious types, not raging atheist liberals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2019, 10:01:17 AM
Yeah as I said the overwhelming majority of people who actually wants to wage a war on Christmas are conservative religious types, not raging atheist liberals.

To be fair, I can see their point. In the modern west, Christmas has become basically a baccanal of consumerism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 10:07:59 AM

To be fair, I can see their point. In the modern west, Christmas has become basically a baccanal of consumerism.

Well that I have some sympathy for (though even in the pre-modern West it was a baccanal)...but usually it is for much more theological reasons than that. They are the kind of Jews who find Christmas idolatrous. They are conservative Christians who find it pagan. That kind of thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2019, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 10:07:59 AM

Well that I have some sympathy for (though even in the pre-modern West it was a baccanal)...but usually it is for much more theological reasons than that. They are the kind of Jews who find Christmas idolatrous. They are conservative Christians who find it pagan. That kind of thing.

The Jewish response to Christmas has been complex, to say the least.  :D Ranges from openly adopting it as a secular holiday (which my family did) to attempting to replace it with Hannukah, formerly a very minor holiday.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/jews-christmas/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2019, 09:51:25 AM

Well according to Syt's sister it is called a Holiday tree...by somebody I guess.

That person was... Donald Trump!

QuoteThe Trump Tower Millennium Holiday Tree" — as described in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and news releases — was a 45-foot perforated metal, gold-coated, fiber-optic-lighted treelike structure unveiled at Trump Tower a month before the turn of the century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/12/25/when-trump-forbade-a-christmas-tree-and-other-forgotten-stories-from-the-war-on-christmas/
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Trump is a genius 5D chess player masterminding stuff in ways we cannot understand.

Razgovory

The real conflict is the war on Candlmas.  Why isn't anyone talking about that injustice?  Also, why no Holy Rood day?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2019, 11:38:37 AM
The real conflict is the war on Candlmas.  Why isn't anyone talking about that injustice?  Also, why no Holy Rood day?

I saw them opening for Ghost. What's the war about?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Oh yeah shall we compare to all the rural decay lost to meth addiction after decades of voting Republican?

Anyway I guess you should thank us for taking these AfD voters off your hands.

Barrister

Saw this on Twitter, not Facebook, but I liked it.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

It is true that all three impeached Presidents were assholes.

Admiral Yi

I like the picture and I like the play on Trump's comment about Johnny Hero, but I dislike the over-hyping of the impeachment vote.