Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: dps on November 13, 2019, 11:24:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2019, 07:53:31 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 08, 2019, 07:18:50 PM

What? Do you not remember the smoking gun/ mushroom cloud bullshit? It was repeated by Bush, Cheney and al. in every fucking speech.

Berkut and Grumbler never could admit they were wrong on this bullshit.  They've been trying to claim they were justified for a decade and a half.

We were absolutely justified in invading Iraq.  The problem was that we had no real plan on what to do there after winning the war.
There'd be a parade.  That was as far as the thinking went. Democracy would break out, and people friendly to the West would be elected.
PDH!

frunk

We were absolutely justified in invading Iraq.  The problem was that we had no real plan on what to do there after winning the war.

Being justified isn't the same as it being a good idea.  We also have justifications for invading NK, Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many other countries.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on November 14, 2019, 09:20:50 AM

Being justified isn't the same as it being a good idea.  We also have justifications for invading NK, Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many other countries.

And that of course, is a fair point.  Plenty of justification for invading NK, but we cannot because the potential damage to Seoul is unthinkable.  Russia, China, Pakistan?  Nukes.  SA?  Hmm...maybe should have done that already.

We may have been better off taking out Saddam after Gulf War I...but there were a few reasons not to do so then, and the after-affects/occupation at that time could have been easily just as bad.  At least, the same major negative factors would still be in place...that being surrounded by a bunch of hostile states working to undermine everything you do and willing to flood supplies/weapons to local insurgents.  An effective aftermath for Iraq probably could not really have been realized without doing the same to Iran and Syria at the same time.

Leaving Saddam in place wouldn't have been glamorous either...as the Iraqi's would have to suffer under that (if not worse than how they suffered after what we did, probably in many different ways).  If Saddam's regime were to have collapsed or weakened severely without us there...there very well could be a much wider window for Iran to meddle in there.  Probably a lot like what is going on in Yemen...a proxy war against SA, and far, far more bloody.

Would the Arab Spring have still happened?  Hard to say, but there is no reason why it could not have without GW2, and many of the Mid East's problems would still exist.  We'd have just saved a couple trillion bucks...or had to blow it helping out in the region under some other kind of scenario.

But then, that is all just mental, alt-history masturbation.  :P

Zoupa

The Arab Spring started in Tunisia and had zero to do with Saddam Hussein being out of power. :mellow:

Threviel

Seems fair, commies on the left and Somalia to the right.

Darth Wagtaros

Just how free is libertarian?  Unless you start out rich and powerful you'll be at the complete mercy of those who did.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 15, 2019, 08:09:04 AM
Just how free is libertarian?  Unless you start out rich and powerful you'll be at the complete mercy of those who did.

You will be free from all government compulsion. No guarantees about other sorts of compulsion :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Threviel on November 15, 2019, 04:04:43 AM

People still pushing the "Nazis were part of the left!" Bullshit"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2019, 09:05:04 AM
Quote from: Threviel on November 15, 2019, 04:04:43 AM

People still pushing the "Nazis were part of the left!" Bullshit"?
Why wouldn't they, what would make them stop?

Habbaku

Does it matter whether the Nazis were left or right?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2019, 09:57:08 AM
Does it matter whether the Nazis were left or right?

If the goal is to understand the historical reality of the Nazi movement, yes it matters.  If you think Nazis were a far left-wing party you are going to have a very confused and wrong-headed understanding of Weimar politics.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

BYW that entire spectrum is nonsensical.  "Conservatives" are not more liberty-loving then liberals and anarchy and "mob rule" are not extreme manifestations of conservative politics.  The whole thing is absurd.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson