News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Dude, you literally wrote this:

QuoteThere is much to find contemptible about the case made for that war, you don't need to fabricate new outrage based on claims nobody actually made, like "nuclear weapons, were actively being developed" with what that is implying. Nobody who voted for that war or supported the war on the grounds of Saddam violating his agreements around his WMD programs did so because they were concerned that Saddam was on the verge of being a nuclear power any time soon.

How can you possibly compute claims nobody actually made, like "nuclear weapons, were actively being developed" with the smoking gun - mushroom cloud quotes? It literally means they wanted you to believe Hussein was developing nuclear weapons. There is no other way to interpret that phrase.

PDH

So sad....

What was once a mostly a decent thread about a couple of German-American families has dissolved into name calling, false statments, and vitriol.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2019, 11:11:44 PM
It's amusing to see supposedly principled members of the "Left" copy the worst of the Fox News propaganda tactics.

If you repeat a lie long enough, at least YOU will start to believe it!

I'm quoting what you wrote and I'm quoting the Bush administration. How is that possibly propaganda?  :mellow:

mongers

Quote from: PDH on November 11, 2019, 11:33:30 PM
So sad....

What was once a mostly a decent thread about a couple of German-American families has dissolved into name calling, false statments, and vitriol.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2019, 11:34:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2019, 11:11:44 PM
It's amusing to see supposedly principled members of the "Left" copy the worst of the Fox News propaganda tactics.

If you repeat a lie long enough, at least YOU will start to believe it!

I'm quoting what you wrote and I'm quoting the Bush administration. How is that possibly propaganda?  :mellow:

Man, you won.  When Berkut or Grumbler start to accuse someone of partisanship, tribalism, etc it means they are on the ropes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

The next step is usually semantics. Never admit you're wrong!

I'm sure that's healthy.

The Brain

What if you are, in fact, never wrong? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Russia has truly worked absolite miracles on boomers minds.
It will be an utterly fascinating book to read in a few decades. Just how they did it. It's not so simple as just churning out "leftists eat babies" junk. There's a whole lot of priming and taken alone completely innocent stories pumpe dinto people to get them ready for the bollocks.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2019, 06:06:10 PM
It will be an utterly fascinating book to read in a few decades. Just how they did it. It's not so simple as just churning out "leftists eat babies" junk. There's a whole lot of priming and taken alone completely innocent stories pumpe dinto people to get them ready for the bollocks.
It's probably not some zero-day attack on people's rationality, but just the old truth that preying on people's fears makes them stop being rational, coupled with the massive force multiplier that algorithmic social media became.  I wouldn't be surprised if Russians themselves were taken aback by how effective it turned out to be.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2019, 06:06:10 PM

Still sticking with your "90% joke" line Shelf?

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2019, 07:53:31 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 08, 2019, 07:18:50 PM

What? Do you not remember the smoking gun/ mushroom cloud bullshit? It was repeated by Bush, Cheney and al. in every fucking speech.

Berkut and Grumbler never could admit they were wrong on this bullshit.  They've been trying to claim they were justified for a decade and a half.

We were absolutely justified in invading Iraq.  The problem was that we had no real plan on what to do there after winning the war.