Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Nothing I have said contradicts the Washington Post article.  There were WMD in Iraq.  That's a fact.  That the statement that "WMD were not present" is untrue is a fact.  No number of strawman arguments by CC and Valmy can hope to change those facts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

/grumbler/ argument by assertion /grumbler/

grumbler

crazy canuck: [weasel] grumbler blah blah [/weasel]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2019, 12:25:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2019, 12:11:06 PM
The problem clearly was that the WMD was not the actual reason they wanted to invade Iraq, it was just the casus belli pretext so the Vice-President and company were not too motivated to dwell on details like maybe what they were saying was not as solidly supported as they implied.

Yes, exactly.  Therein lies the deceit.  They wanted to invade for other reasons but they needed to get others, both domestic and international, to support their cause and so the WMD story was created.

THose "other reasons" were articulated as well. It's not like the basic idea of getting rid of a dictator and replacing them with democratic institution was some double secret plan.

And again, the WMD story was not "created". That is another lie. The irony of your repeated lies about other people lies is delicious, albeit certainly completely opaque to you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2019, 12:39:41 PM
crazy canuck: [weasel] grumbler blah blah [/weasel]

His citing of an article that directly contradicts the narrative he is trying to create is amusing, and very similar to the WH response to a court oredering them to pay $2 million in damages as a result of a lawsuit. "Well, we are please that the court found in our favor by not making us pay $4 million in damages!"

It does go to show that the use of myth and propaganda to push a political narrative is hardly the unique provenance of the Trumps of the world. The CCs play that game as enthusiastically as anyone else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2019, 04:49:35 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2019, 04:17:53 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 06, 2019, 02:40:45 PM
Irak

Why do you translate your own country's name into English but not Iraq? Goes to Viper too.  :hmm:
Because Canada is spelled the same in English and in French, duh!
:P

I keep forgetting about Irak/Iraq.

It's not a translation technically, but a different transcription, since different languages have different rules for transliterating Arabic.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 08, 2019, 01:21:39 PM
Irak

Why do you translate your own country's name into English but not Iraq? Goes to Viper too.  :hmm:

It's not a translation technically, but a different transcription, since different languages have different rules for transliterating Arabic.

No, I think Iraq is the English name for that country, not just a transliteration of Arabic.  It's like we call Germany Germany, not Deutschland.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2019, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 08, 2019, 01:21:39 PM
Irak

No, I think Iraq is the English name for that country, not just a transliteration of Arabic.  It's like we call Germany Germany, not Deutschland.

Iraq is the English transliteration or English spelling if you will of (al-)Irāq in latinised Arabic.
Germany is not a transliteration of Deutschland, it is the English exonym of Roman origin.
Not the same.  :nerd:

PS: the (disused) English exonym for Iraq would be Mesopotamia.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2019, 12:58:39 PM
The problem clearly was that the WMD was not the actual reason they wanted to invade Iraq, it was just the casus belli pretext so the Vice-President and company were not too motivated to dwell on details like maybe what they were saying was not as solidly supported as they implied.

Yes, exactly.  Therein lies the deceit.  They wanted to invade for other reasons but they needed to get others, both domestic and international, to support their cause and so the WMD story was created.

THose "other reasons" were articulated as well. It's not like the basic idea of getting rid of a dictator and replacing them with democratic institution was some double secret plan.

And again, the WMD story was not "created". That is another lie. The irony of your repeated lies about other people lies is delicious, albeit certainly completely opaque to you.

Your first sentence is not responsive to mine. 

Your second sentence is beyond the pale offensive.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2019, 12:27:08 PM
Nothing I have said contradicts the Washington Post article.  There were WMD in Iraq.  That's a fact.  That the statement that "WMD were not present" is untrue is a fact.  No number of strawman arguments by CC and Valmy can hope to change those facts.

The facts are misleading though. I don't think the "WMD" that were in Iraq are actually weapons that could cause much destruction, except maybe against Iraqi civilians, and certainly considerably less destruction than conventional weaponry. Weapons that are no threat at all to the United States because they have proven to be ineffective for the past hundred years is more like it.

Does that matter at all or is the technicality the important thing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 06, 2019, 05:10:25 PM
It would be a fair bit of hubris to argue that the invasion of Iraq was a good idea.

But I don't think one can also easily argue that sitting back and continuing to watch Saddam & Sons run a multi-million person sadistic torture chamber while simultaneously feeding regional and international terrorism was a great alternative either.

Saddam got rid of Abu Nidal, one of the worst terrorist pre 2001, by "suicide" and you call that feeding international terrorism?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2019, 01:43:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2019, 12:58:39 PM

Your first sentence is not responsive to mine. 

Your second sentence is beyond the pale offensive.

You do know the difference between a sentence and a paragraph, don't you? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2019, 01:49:06 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2019, 12:27:08 PM

The facts are misleading though. I don't think the "WMD" that were in Iraq are actually weapons that could cause much destruction, except maybe against Iraqi civilians, and certainly considerably less destruction than conventional weaponry. Weapons that are no threat at all to the United States because they have proven to be ineffective for the past hundred years is more like it.

Does that matter at all or is the technicality the important thing?

I am not sure exactly why you insist that the facts are not important when I point out a factual untruth, and insist that the truth is a mere "technicality."  Don't we frown on the position that "the truth is a technicality" any more?  Are you really going to take the position opposed to mine, that the truth is "misleading" and so an untruth is preferable?

It seems to me that all of your technicalities glossing over the fact that WMDs were, in fact, found in Iraq are far more technicalities than my simple observation that they were.

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.