News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I believe the current one is referring to the custody fight in Texas?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2019, 07:11:37 AM

Ah. Some sort of transgendered kid I guess? I haven't heard a thing about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 07:18:46 AM

This case has shown up a lot in my sister's feed over the last days.

https://thetexan.news/breaking-dallas-jury-grants-mother-sole-custody-of-purported-transgender-child/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2019, 07:27:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 07:18:46 AM

This case has shown up a lot in my sister's feed over the last days.

https://thetexan.news/breaking-dallas-jury-grants-mother-sole-custody-of-purported-transgender-child/

Of course it has. It sounds like good outrage fodder.

The only transgendered person I have known personally I met as a small child in the early 1980s and man...let me tell you...I was about as ignorant of gender and how it worked as a five year old in 1982 would reasonably be and it was pretty obvious that that kid was a boy and not a girl. I mean I had met tomboys before but nah, this was obviously a boy in a way that seemed incredibly obvious and intuitive to me at the time. So maybe it is that obvious for this kid? Maybe that is normal for young transgendered children? I have no idea, just this one anecdotal experience from somebody I know well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Snopes had a bit on this, focused on the public identification of the involved parties.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/10/24/personal-information-child/

Quote[...]

The articles focus on a long-running, bitter divorce case in which the parent awarded custody has purportedly sought treatment, including hormone therapy, for a child questioning their gender identity. The other parent has sought to block that treatment and, while losing in court, has taken the case to the alternative media.

The parent who opposes treatment has given multiple interviews and provided details about the child's medical case. Sensational but one-sided stories based on that parent's statements have appeared on RT, the Russian state-funded media network, numerous right-leaning sites, and a website founded by a former Texas state senator.

We emailed questions to the editor of that Texas publication asking why the site felt the need to publish photographs of the child, and whether the editor had any reservations about doing so. The editor did not answer those questions but instead offered this response: "Upon viewing these, I'm not seeing any fact-checking questions or desire to confirm details surrounding the ... case. They are questions about our internal processes and decision-making when it comes to reporting on issues important to Texans."

An attorney for the child's custodial parent said in an emailed statement that the parent has been the target of threats, harassment, and vandalism to property as the result of reporting on the case by alternative media outlets.

[...]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

"I'll take 'Stories That Didn't Happen' for 600, Alex."

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

And then the whole class stood up and clapped.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Of course your relatives constantly badmouth our country.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 10:41:01 AM
Of course your relatives constantly badmouth our country.

No, they just question the citizenship/loyalty of people that disagree with them. Completely different!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2019, 07:12:34 AM

They might want to actually see that film before they use it as example of masculinity in the 1960's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

I don't recall anything effeminate about those characters. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 25, 2019, 11:39:05 AM
I don't recall anything effeminate about those characters. :unsure:

These fine gentlemen thought otherwise.